Devis3d Designs

Start Scripts

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi guys, just bought the software the other day and am really impressed. I am using a Wanhao Duplicator 4x and typically using the dual extrusion features. There aren't a whole lot of things that Makerware does well, but I have had really good luck with their method for nozzle priming. Normally, with a 2x profile, it does 2 lines across the front of the build plate right at the edge. Right now, I have been using the Duplicator 4 profile in Simplify 3D and it doesn't actually prime the 2nd extruder. Also, I don't like the method of making a blob at the corner of the build plate because of potential for material sticking to the nozzle surface. Enough explanation... on to the real question.

I don't have a ton of experience editing gcode but have a pretty decent understanding of it. I have seen in the start script for the Duplicator 4 profile where it is priming etc. and could probably piddle around long enough to emulate the makerware priming routine, but was really hoping for a copy and paste solution. I loaded the 2x profile/ start script hoping it was like the makerware start script, but it was basically the same as the duplicator profile. This kind of makes sense because of the nearly identical architecture of the machines; however, I would really like that different priming routine. If I am just ignorant of a button or option, just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way :D TIA
Last edited by Devis3d Designs on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dssguy1

Re: Start Scripts

Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

I have duplicated the MakerWare priming process on my FF Creator through S3D and I agree, it is a much nicer way to prime instead of a blob or extruding at the corner and wiping it off.

When I get home, I can send you my modified start sequence that should work just fine for your Dup4.

Devis3d Designs

Sun May 04, 2014 6:14 pm

That sounds great. I appreciate it. I actually like their tool change pretty well too. A bit time consuming, but decent idea.

Devis3d Designs

Tue May 13, 2014 12:00 am

Never got anything. Anyone else with any input on this? I'll even take priming both extruders at this point...

heathenx

Tue May 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Here's the starting and ending script that I use on my FlashForge Creator Dual

Start gcode:
G28 ; home all axes
; ***start of purge line***
;M320 acceleration enabled for all commands that follow (DISABLED TEMPORARILY)
M201 X850 Y850 Z200 E10000; limit acceleration (ENABLED TEMPORARILY)
G1 Z0.2 F6000.000; move to first layer height
G1 X90 Y-90 F10000.000; move to front of build plate
G1 X-90 Y-90 E24 F1000.000; extrude a purge line on the build plate
G4 P2000; wait for ooze to slow
G1 Z0.0 F6000.000; lower nozzle height to bed
G1 X-90; wipe nozzle
G1 Z0.2 F6000.000; move to first layer height
G1 F10000; ensure fast travel to first print move
; *** end of purge line***

End gcode:
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; turn off bed
G28 ; home axes
M84 ; disable motors

That will lay a Makerbot style purge line across your plate. Just make sure you preview the gcode animation to be sure it works on your printer.

Devis3d Designs

Thu May 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Does this purge both nozzles or only one? Main issue I have is that the right nozzle always purges (tries to whether I am using it or not) and left nozzle never purges. Making lines for the purge would be nice but not necessary...

Devis3d Designs

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Just as an update on this: If anyone is trying to crack this nut, it is super simple. Basically use Makerware or whatever software that has the start feature you like.

1) Set up a file similar to your desired print. Left/ Right Extruder/ Both Extruders etc.
2) Slice and save as .gcode.
3) Open the file and read through the commented portions. You need the area above the first layer.
4) In S3D just paste it into your start script.
5) If your printer is not directly the same as a Makerware (or other) compatible printer, you will need to edit the x,y positions for start/ stop positions of the prime.

Keep in mind that when using an alternative start script, you will manually have to edit your layer one temp in your custom start script.
Not sure why no one else could ever just point anyone in the right direction on this. I know it was easy, but jeez, just a hint is all most people need...

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”