DM06

Different ways to make rafts?

Are there different methods that Simplify3D uses to make rafts?

I ask because I will print a part with a raft that will have lines with spaces in between them for the first layer, and then a solid second layer. This is definitely purposeful, not an issue with under extrusion etc. I'm assuming this is to help make it easier to remove the part off of the platform, as there is less surface area touching it.

Other times it will make the raft first layer completely solid.

The part does not change in any way. The process does not change in any way. It seems to me the first method is the most effective, but the second method is the one most used.

I'm using a Fusion F410 with their default process for PLA.

Any ideas?
wirlybird

Re: Different ways to make rafts?

Off topic but how do you like the 410?
I am considering getting one.
dkightley

Re: Different ways to make rafts?

The settings for the raft are in the "Additions" tab.

Your first description is of one base layer and one top layer...and your second description seems to indicate no base layers and one top layer.....and if you are getting different results with different parts, then you must have differing raft settings!

Basically, you have no control over the generation of the base layers other that the First Layer Settings on the Layer tab which affects the first base layer only. You do have control over the top layer infill which will affect how far apart the extrusions are....50% gives a gap equal to the extrusion width, 100% no gap, etc.

Personally, I would advise that unless you have a really bad issue with your bed then do not use any base layers, use only a single top layer set to around 40-50% infill with as small a separation distance you can use where you get no curling of the part. Having said that, many will say don't use a raft......but its a personal preference thing. I print exclusively parts that are fixed down on one face and don't need a smooth surface....which you will not get with a raft.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”