Don

Printing a Civil War Submarine

All,

I just finished a post on my website. I honestly don't think I could have pulled it off it it wasn't for the control Simplify 3D gave me over my printer, a Duplicator 4. With about 20 parts on the bed, the printer now cranks through it with no problem.

Just thought I'd share, and BIG thanks to Clayton who helped me when I first got the program and was trying to figure out how get solid prints out.

The link is:

http://donfoley.com/3d-printing/776-2

Don
jimc

Re: Printing a Civil War Submarine

don thats awesome. great write up and just a kickass job. i love stuff like that.
Monty3DP

Very Nice!
JoeJ

That is incredibly impressive. Awesome modeling skills and you've clearly got a good handle on the 3D printing side too!
laird

JoeJ wrote:That is incredibly impressive. Awesome modeling skills and you've clearly got a good handle on the 3D printing side too!
Awesome print, and nice writeup! Are you going to be publishing the design? I'm sure that a lot of people would love to be able to print the model!
Don

Thanks for your supportive feedback.

I'm building a library of objects that I plan to publish down the road at a reasonable cost, $10 or so. But I want to have a fair bit of substance to the site first. It's called 3DChute.com, but there is no content there at the moment. I looked at several online 3D model stores and I'm not too crazy about their business models.

While I've been building models for 20 years, I've only been building for 3D printing for a few months. So to get my process nailed, I've been taking old illustrations I've done and creating new 3D models from scratch. It's been quite an education, but I get a little better at it with each build.

I will have an illustration in the June issue of Popular Science, and I talked them into running a companion STL file on their website for people to download and print for free. It's a pretty cool piece and it will have an additional innovation that I haven't seen anyone else do yet. When they publish it online I'll post a link on the board.
tri-lite

Hey, it was nice to see the story this morning from 3D Printing Industry talking about the classy models you've created. Way to go! ;)

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/05/2 ... don-foley/
Don

Tri-lite,

Thank you.

I knew the PopSci issue would be published in June, but I was busy working on other stuff and figured "I'd deal with it in June".

Then people started wanting interviews because PopSci web edition released the story.

I had so many requests for my models I did a rush job and opened up a VERY rudimentary store with some of my favorite models. The response has been very favorable.

I'm finding myself wanting to build models like the ones I've posted instead of doing this "illustration" thing which pays all the bills, put 2 kids through college and keeps my boat afloat.

It is SO much fun! It's a whole different way of thinking and I love the challenge.

Fortunately I'm getting some of the cross-over I was hoping for...regular clients interested in this new "3D Printing" world.

It wasn't long ago I was explaining to them why the internet would be so important on content delivery. It took years. Seriously.

Thanks again, your humble artist,

Don

www.donfoley.com

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”