gwhite

Support Angle for Rectangular Border?

I have a model that includes a rectangular outline with an elevated lip that goes around the entire thing. It's not very wide, and most of it will be done as a series of perimeter runs going around & around. I will need supports, and I'd like the zig-zag of the supports to run perpendicular to the perimeter to get the best support.
Border Support Problem.gif
My understanding is that you can only specify a global angle for supports, so if I make them perpendicular on two sides, the supports will be parallel on the other two sides, and I will get lots of sagging filament problems. I seem to recall questions about the (un)availability of radial supports for circular objects, which is probably an even worse scenario.

The best I think I can do is to put the supports at 45 degrees, but I figured I'd check with the experts and see if there is some trick I'm missing.

Thanks!
zemlin

Re: Support Angle for Rectangular Border?

I use support angles of 45 and -45 - one layer each.
I then use 3 layers of dense support which will lay down at the same angles. This provides a nice platform for the new material to lay down on.
I almost always have separation layers set to 1.
If the build on top of the support is too loose I reduce the layer height so the separation between the support and the build is reduced. If support is difficult to remove I increase the layer height.

Would love to see the separation be an absolute value than a number of layers, but for now it's layers.
S3D Support.jpg
airscapes

zemlin wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:25 pm If support is difficult to remove I increase the layer height.
So you increase you print resolution so the support releases better?
zemlin

Yes. I did quite a lot of testing early on in my 3d printing days. Layer height turned out to be the variable with the greatest impact on supported build quality.
airscapes

zemlin wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 pm Yes. I did quite a lot of testing early on in my 3d printing days. Layer height turned out to be the variable with the greatest impact on supported build quality.
I will test this tomorrow.. .12mm for my current miniature is causing some issues with supports.. will bump it to .14 and see if that helps!
I just tired changing top separation to 2 which has never been helpful.. print is done but don't have time to attempt to weed the supports ..
Having real control over that variable would be nice.. just like horizontal offset..

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”