User avatar
KeyboardWarrior
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 pm

The general demeanor on this thread is horrid and shows what an embarrassment the 3D printing community can be at times.

"Even if you let people walk all over you, they'll still complain you're not flat enough" comes to mind here. Simplify3D gives these updates out for free. I got the software all the way back at version 2.2 in early 2014, before they had an online portal system, and back when they had half the features they do now. Even at version 2.2, it was better than what Cura or Slic3r offers at current day, so the 150$ price-tag was justified. Then Simplify gave out version 3.0, which had Dual Extrusion Wizard which once again paid for the software all over again. Even today, they continue to give out free updates, but yet people still have the audacity to complain.

If Simplify3D were truly "Money-Hungry" they would of gone the route of KISS-Slicer a long time ago, where you sell the software with no support, no updates and no company really at all. For 3D printing enthusiasts who have multiple printers (with multiple firmwares) there's literally no other competition for an all-in-one software package. I am happy that Simplify3D has created a great software package that's quick, easy to use and reliable, so it bothers me to see the level of discontent here on the forums by folks who literally want to see a "new version", just to see a "new version". You guys may of seen my sticky, where I went through and described all the features of each tab in Simplify3D, so I'm pretty well-versed with the software, and enjoy helping others become well-versed too, since 3D printing is an amazing tool. However, the posts in this thread don't even ask for specific features, they just ask for a "new version", like a kid in a toy-store crying while pointing at a new toy.

BaudR8
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 pm

KeyboardWarrior wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 pm
The general demeanor on this thread is horrid and shows what an embarrassment the 3D printing community can be at times.

"Even if you let people walk all over you, they'll still complain you're not flat enough" comes to mind here. Simplify3D gives these updates out for free. I got the software all the way back at version 2.2 in early 2014, before they had an online portal system, and back when they had half the features they do now. Even at version 2.2, it was better than what Cura or Slic3r offers at current day, so the 150$ price-tag was justified. Then Simplify gave out version 3.0, which had Dual Extrusion Wizard which once again paid for the software all over again. Even today, they continue to give out free updates, but yet people still have the audacity to complain.

If Simplify3D were truly "Money-Hungry" they would of gone the route of KISS-Slicer a long time ago, where you sell the software with no support, no updates and no company really at all. For 3D printing enthusiasts who have multiple printers (with multiple firmwares) there's literally no other competition for an all-in-one software package. I am happy that Simplify3D has created a great software package that's quick, easy to use and reliable, so it bothers me to see the level of discontent here on the forums by folks who literally want to see a "new version", just to see a "new version". You guys may of seen my sticky, where I went through and described all the features of each tab in Simplify3D, so I'm pretty well-versed with the software, and enjoy helping others become well-versed too, since 3D printing is an amazing tool. However, the posts in this thread don't even ask for specific features, they just ask for a "new version", like a kid in a toy-store crying while pointing at a new toy.
+1

Deneteus
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:03 pm

KeyboardWarrior wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 pm
The general demeanor on this thread is horrid and shows what an embarrassment the 3D printing community can be at times.

"Even if you let people walk all over you, they'll still complain you're not flat enough" comes to mind here. Simplify3D gives these updates out for free. I got the software all the way back at version 2.2 in early 2014, before they had an online portal system, and back when they had half the features they do now. Even at version 2.2, it was better than what Cura or Slic3r offers at current day, so the 150$ price-tag was justified. Then Simplify gave out version 3.0, which had Dual Extrusion Wizard which once again paid for the software all over again. Even today, they continue to give out free updates, but yet people still have the audacity to complain.

If Simplify3D were truly "Money-Hungry" they would of gone the route of KISS-Slicer a long time ago, where you sell the software with no support, no updates and no company really at all. For 3D printing enthusiasts who have multiple printers (with multiple firmwares) there's literally no other competition for an all-in-one software package. I am happy that Simplify3D has created a great software package that's quick, easy to use and reliable, so it bothers me to see the level of discontent here on the forums by folks who literally want to see a "new version", just to see a "new version". You guys may of seen my sticky, where I went through and described all the features of each tab in Simplify3D, so I'm pretty well-versed with the software, and enjoy helping others become well-versed too, since 3D printing is an amazing tool. However, the posts in this thread don't even ask for specific features, they just ask for a "new version", like a kid in a toy-store crying while pointing at a new toy.
You want to make it about the people asking for features like they are low for even asking for a consistent schedule.

You must be an iphone user. Let us kiss the feet of the software gods lets they hurl thunderbolts. There are tons of other software that are fully functional, that have paid versions and that do constant timely updates.

Reaper comes to mind. They post their release changelog on the front page of the site. The software is fully functional and if you want to make money off of it then you buy a discount or commercial license. The licenses doesn't expire till they hit a full milestone so that people get a fair amount of updates and nobody has a problem. There goes your argument because both Cura and Slicer have had more updates than Simplify3D. I can literally go to their GITHUBs and submit an issue and people will respond. They don't just let Feature Request pile up without giving anything priority and we can see that. Don't blame the users for expecting better support either.

The point is software companies are supposed to stick to their development schedule and inform their users, its as simple as that. That is literally the point of Agile and Scrumm in Software development. Read #1 & #3. Let it sink in. There is a reason it is there. This exactly how I know you know nothing about what you are talking about.


Agile software development principles
The Manifesto for Agile Software Development is based on twelve principles:

1. Customer satisfaction by early and continuous delivery of valuable software
2. Welcome changing requirements, even in late development
3. Working software is delivered frequently (weeks rather than months)
4. Close, daily cooperation between business people and developers
5. Projects are built around motivated individuals, who should be trusted
6. Face-to-face conversation is the best form of communication (co-location)
7. Working software is the primary measure of progress
8. Sustainable development, able to maintain a constant pace
9. Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design
10. Simplicity—the art of maximizing the amount of work not done—is essential
11. Best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams
12 .Regularly, the team reflects on how to become more effective, and adjusts accordingly

User avatar
KeyboardWarrior
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Deneteus wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:03 pm
You want to make it about the people asking for features like they are low for even asking for a consistent schedule.

You must be an iphone user. Let us kiss the feet of the software gods lets they hurl thunderbolts. There are tons of other software that are fully functional, that have paid versions and that do constant timely updates.

Reaper comes to mind. The software is fully functional and if you want to make money off of it then you buy a commercial license. The licenses doesn't expire till they hit a full milestone so that people get a fair amount of updates and nobody has a problem. There goes your argument because both Cura and Slicer have had more updates than Simplify3D. I can literally go to their GITHUBs and submit an issue and people will respond. They don't just let Feature Request pile up without giving anything priority and we can see that.

The point is software companies are supposed to stick to their development schedule and inform their users, its as simple as that. That is literally the point of Agile and Scrumm in Software development. Read #1 & #3. Let it sink in. There is a reason it is there. This exactly how I know you know nothing about what you are talking about.


Agile software development principles
The Manifesto for Agile Software Development is based on twelve principles:

1. Customer satisfaction by early and continuous delivery of valuable software
2. Welcome changing requirements, even in late development
3. Working software is delivered frequently (weeks rather than months)
4. Close, daily cooperation between business people and developers
5. Projects are built around motivated individuals, who should be trusted
6. Face-to-face conversation is the best form of communication (co-location)
7. Working software is the primary measure of progress
8. Sustainable development, able to maintain a constant pace
9. Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design
10. Simplicity—the art of maximizing the amount of work not done—is essential
11. Best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams
12 .Regularly, the team reflects on how to become more effective, and adjusts accordingly
Buddy, I have a Master's in Software Development, you don't need to explain Agile principles that you copy+pasted off of Wikipedia to me. Customer's do not dictate the update-release cycle is my overarching point. The fact that you think you're entitled to an update schedule is laughable.

Also, on your account you have 6 posts, so I'll breakdown the contributions you've had to this forum:
1 post where you can't figure out how to print a first layer
1 post where you ask for octoprint integration
4 posts where you complain that there aren't enough updates

Sent from My iPhone

mroek
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 pm

General demeanor? That's too strong in my opinion. Thing is that people are frustrated by the lack of information from the developers of a product they use and love, but where said product is in need of improvements. Seeing that the update rate is very low, the suspense buildup is very strong when we get a whiff that an update is imminent.

I wish the S3D developers had chosen a different approach to information flow, because that would have made a huge change to how we the users perceive the activity going on with the product.

User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2148
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm

The general demeanor on this thread is horrid and shows what an embarrassment the 3D printing community can be at times.
This one sentense sums this thread up as far as I'm concerned.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

MasterFX
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 11:23 am

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 pm

dkightley wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm
The general demeanor on this thread is horrid and shows what an embarrassment the 3D printing community can be at times.
This one sentense sums this thread up as far as I'm concerned.
Well, it just highlights the dissatisfaction of the community. S3D is still a great piece of software but since 2 years with a huge lag of support and updates promises which are not implemented so far. There was/is a huge feedback of all S3D users but still no updates.
There are many features which most slicers now provide which S3D promised to be implemented, but they are still not there.

To be honest, I'm still using S3D, because I have all my profiles and I'm still satisfied with the printing results... BUT I think after almost two years without any major improvements, it is time to do something. I'll never switch to Cura, even it has way more functions than S3D. Cura is slow and bloated software which I don't want to use. Maybe I would use Slic3r, Craftware, Ideamaker ... But I still hope S3D is getting close again to the compeditors while keeping the fast and inuitive software interface. I recommended S3D to so many friends of mine, but now (since 1 year) not anymore because I don't know if there will be any updates in the feature.

Deneteus
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 pm


Buddy, I have a Master's in Software Development, you don't need to explain Agile principles that you copy+pasted off of Wikipedia to me. Customer's do not dictate the update-release cycle is my overarching point. The fact that you think you're entitled to an update schedule is laughable.

Also, on your account you have 6 posts, so I'll breakdown the contributions you've had to this forum:
1 post where you can't figure out how to print a first layer
1 post where you ask for octoprint integration
4 posts where you complain that there aren't enough updates

Sent from My iPhone
By the way I paid for the software so I can say what I want. They stated there was going to be an update in September.

The first layer post was a problem with start gcode within S3D and Marlin. Which I figured out on my own.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/26muJoDaJ9Avto1RA

You could have a Phd and still not know what the hell you are talking about. If you think customers don't dictate releases then you will eventually end up with either no company or bought by one that can keep to their development schedules.

What I post on these forums is probably .0000001% of the 3D Printing related posts on the Internet. Seeing as a good majority of non-technical users do not create feature requests its better than your complaints that we shouldn't expect updates. (I was right about the iphone.)

Image


User avatar
KeyboardWarrior
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:44 am

Deneteus wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 pm

By the way I paid for the software so I can say what I want. They stated there was going to be an update in September.

The first layer post was a problem with start gcode within S3D and Marlin. Which I figured out on my own.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/26muJoDaJ9Avto1RA

You could have a Phd and still not know what the hell you are talking about. If you think customers don't dictate releases then you will eventually end up with either no company or bought by one that can keep to their development schedules.

What I post on these forums is probably .0000001% of the 3D Printing related posts on the Internet. Seeing as a good majority of non-technical users do not create feature requests its better than your complaints that we shouldn't expect updates. (I was right about the iphone.)
Your inability to grasp basic economics or even construct your thoughts and arguments clearly make this conversation truly tedious. I feel like I'm doing the work for two people here. To quickly put you in the right direction, please reread your argument on Reaper software and understand that it only made sense to you. If you were truly suggesting Simplify3D completely change their business model to offer the software for free, only charging for business licenses because that's what some other software in a completely different sector does, that means you are truly delusional.

But congratulations on figuring out how to print a first layer, I hope my lesson on basic G-Code came in handy. viewtopic.php?t=2366

Also, since we're posting memes now, please view image below for my new iPhone background.
King_Denetus.jpg

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”