brunofporto

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

SusiT140V wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 am I really REALLY want to be positive, especially as there is now a presence on the forum from the S3D guys (Hi!), but I have seen this kind of 'announcement' too many times from other companies in the past.
Like Micro$oft at E3 2013 where excitement got the better of them and announced the 'XBOX One Home Video Recorder' that nearly destroyed the console.
Or is it just another a marketing placeholder - "Watch this space" (AKA - don't abandon us)?

However, I do welcome this new approach towards a new era of enlightenment with open arms, and hope it is neither of the above, but a genuine move away from the way the business has been run to date. This would be a major step towards improving user confidence in the Team and the future of the S3D software.

As I work as a support technician for a major UK filament company, I need to keep familiar with new releases of S3D, so I can say with confidence that my custom is assured for the foreseeable future.
In the Real World, I now use Cura for most of my slicing as IMHO, it has greatly surpassed S3D in its general slicing capabilities. I now just 'shadow-slice' with S3D (and Slic3r), just to keep my hand in with the software.
Knowing what I know of S3D in its current form, would I buy it for myself?
Probably not.

I used to recommend S3D to our customers on a daily basis - I have not done this for at least six months now.
IMHO, it currently is not worth the money.
It has a few advantages such as the reasonably-logical workflow, and processes are extremely powerful, but some basic stuff - like the support options are somewhat lacking - setting manual supports can be a nightmare on objects with complex geometry, and the profile system is just awful when you have many different machines involved. (Saving that info in the Registry was just not cool either)

This really isn't meant to be a rant, it's an honest reflection of how I feel as an S3D customer of nearly two years.
I truly hope that the lack of engagement from the S3D management is now over forever and I can start feeling positive about the worth of the software once more.

A lack of substance, in what amounts to a "We're still alive - Jam Tomorrow!" announcement, totally lacking in any substance, at the moment is just looking like a slap of paint over the cracks of the old mismanagement of the customer base.
Hence, I am cynical.

The Simplify3D software has so much potential, so please PLEASE prove me wrong.
brunofporto

nuroo wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 pm .... But haven't seen an update or any new features in more the 6 months.
I do not even want new features... Only a better profile management system and a working bridge algorithm.
krosnyak

S3D is great, and it keeps getting better. Demanding information about future updates and release dates is asking a lot. Software companies don't do that, maybe Autodesk with Fusion360 is constantly doing bugfix and feature add, but that is surely not the norm...
Give them some room, this is an established working product, not a "croudfunded" project. Sit back and wait.
mroek

It's been a few weeks since this update post, and we're now in September. The S3D team went pretty silent efter the initial post, so it would be nice to get some more info on progress, don't just leave us hanging please.
S3D-Chris

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The whole team is working hard to finish everything for the release, so we appreciate your patience. We are also working on a comprehensive list of changes for Version 4.1, so I think that will help to answer many of the prior questions.

If you have specific features or bugs that you would like to be addressed in the future, please make sure to post those ideas into the correct sub-forum. That helps to keep things organized, and also allows us to see how many others users are interested in the same ideas. We have several people here that read and compile that feedback, so it's a great way to make sure you vote is heard.

We are still on track for releasing later this month and we will be sure to share more as the date gets closer!

PS - We typically share a few extra teasers via social media, so you might want to keep an eye on that too :)
mntbighker

mischl wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:50 pm a lot written, but not said much...
most adresses something somewhen. I don't know much more now, sounds very marketing like.

If this is the kind of information it does not make any sense to me.
Yeah, a lot of double talk is almost worse than silence when you write plenty and say exactly zero. I hope I can at least have more than one freakin model open at a time in the next release.
Scratch built CoreXY with Duet Maestro
Heavily modified Ender 3 with Duet Maestro
MPCNC work in progress with Duet WiFi
C_Birch81

Do you have a list of what new printer profiles will be getting added to the software?
mroek

C_Birch81 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:07 pm Do you have a list of what new printer profiles will be getting added to the software?
Unless I'm mistaken, printer profiles are added continuously, not just with software updates. When you launch the configuration assistant in Simplify3D, it goes online to download the current list of printer profiles, from which you can choose the one you want. This list is updated with new profiles even between software updates. At least that's how I believe it works, someone from S3D can probably confirm or deny (if I'm wrong).
cybrsage

mroek wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:56 am
C_Birch81 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:07 pm Do you have a list of what new printer profiles will be getting added to the software?
Unless I'm mistaken, printer profiles are added continuously, not just with software updates. When you launch the configuration assistant in Simplify3D, it goes online to download the current list of printer profiles, from which you can choose the one you want. This list is updated with new profiles even between software updates. At least that's how I believe it works, someone from S3D can probably confirm or deny (if I'm wrong).
You are correct. The Prusa i3 Mk3 appeared in my list before I found out the super secret S3D Update 4.0.1 existed (the one the updater does not know about - so you have to stumble upon it by accident or have someone tell you about it). The Mk3 was not in existence when I bought S3D, so it was surely not there.
curlykid1

Fingers crossed we get some tree supports like Cura has had for awhile now.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”