1hander

not sure what is causing this ..

can someone help me figure this out, it looks like its trting to put filament in mid air, this only happens with spherical shaped objects or dome shaped
and on the outer perimeter at the top you can see that the very outer filament is not adhered to the perimeter
could someone point me in the right direction

im not sure how to attach the factory file
S3D-Chris

Re: not sure what is causing this ..

To save your Factory File go to File > Save Factory File As... then you can upload it to the forum by going to the Attachments tab > Add files. This should be located under the text box.
Forum Attachments.JPG
1hander

thank you so much for that help, i just dont know how to use the forum because i never need it, because the product just works so well.
Attachments
drain dome cover v5.factory
(441.36 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
dkightley

The underside of that shallow dome shape needs to have support...and you only have support under the flat area around the outside.

The fix is to let the support auto-generate...and you'll see it will be generated everywhere - which is what is needed.

You can reduce the wastage by lowering the support percentage down to say 10%...and upping the dense support layer %age to 100%.

I don't have experience of printing nylon....but you may need to lower the vertical separation down to 1 layer...unless doing so will weld the support to the part!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
RomeFallsAgain

I agree with Doug. You need supports everywhere underneath.

Your material choice says 'polycarbonate". Are you really printing with Polycarbonate?
If so, you need temps of 290-310C to print with PC. My printers won't do that.

But since the material I see in your photo is black....can you explicitly explain what type filament you are printing with?
Doug mentioned Nylon, but I didn't see you mention Nylon nor did I see it in your factory file.
1hander

all metal hotend, volcano heater block, heated bed , enclosed, it is polycarbonate, pc maker i think ....i have been cooking at 258, it flows really well at speed up to 37mm/s, but the fact that there are outer layers not sticking probly does mean i need a bit more heat ..i made ome changes to marlin and i can run the hotend as hot as 300 , but have never had the need cuz this PC has no problem at 258, the vertical heater heater block, i think really helps with that too.

not sure what brand for sure though, but it prints extrenely well on anything other than sperical dome shaped stuff.. but i get the same anomalies when printig this model with PLA..

i figured supports was part of the problem.. but what im looking at is how far apart the outer layers get from eachother on dome shaped stuff, is that just a graphical illusion or are the outer layers actually getting that far apart from one another..and can anything be done about it..you can see where the outer layers are far enough apart that you can kinda see inside at the infill ...ill lower the separation layer as well

is there any way to adjust something like outer layer overlap

the only setting i found that somewhat brought those outer layers together ..like at the top of the dome where they seem to seperate more, was increasing , the extrusion width... i was using and extrusion width setting of manual at .5 , but changed it auto at .6 .. and the outer layers came closer together...it helped but the sliced model is what shows those separations..just wondering if i missed a setting or i just have to live with it,

see how at the top of the dome the distance between them gets really far apart and you can see green
dkightley

To reduce the step effect for the very shallow angles you'll need to thin the layer thickness down. ....use the Variable Settings Wizard to create one or two profile changes and thin the layer thickness down for the upper profiles.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
1hander

thats the trick thank you...i troed to see how much ir takes to get the gaps to completely close and even at .05 layer height they did no close.. i guess ill have to live with it..i can reduce the layer down to .1 but past that the cycles times get crazy long ...ill find a happy medium.. would be awesome to have a way to adjust overlap for instances like these shallow angles

thanks for the help.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”