Ruudscorner

Simplify3D or FlashPrint

TL;DR: It's in general too expensive for a hobbyist, and especially when you can't test it beforehand.

I'm new to 3D printing and just got the FlashForge Finder (the new one with auto update firmware directly from the printer via WiFi).

I'm having great results with the FlashPrint software except for something that looks like under extrusion in the beginning of each layer. It's a tiny under extrusion that doesn't do much for the finished print except the outer walls looks a tiny bit thinner and it doesn't look "as good" as the rest. What I've read about this could have something to do with the pressure in the nozzle (K factor ?), or maybe too much retraction.

FlashPrint have lots of tinkering settings in expert mode that could do whatever, but in my search for a specific fix I came across Simplify 3D.

Looking at the features my first instinct was I had to try this, but of course there is no try option. Yes, I could buy it for $149 and test it for two weeks and get a refund if I didn't like it. But come on, with currency fluctuations I could end up paying a great deal for this "test" if I buy it at top and get a refund at a low currency value.

My main concern is however the lack of information regarding WiFi support. I can find hints at this working, but it seems the main way is using USB. I will most likely use a USB stick for unmanaged prints, but I want the option of full WiFi printing and monitoring.

The main reasons I'm not using Simplify 3D right now:
[*] Price. If it was $49 I would buy it nonetheless. This is a hobby. And I payed less than $500 for my printer, so $149 for a 3rd party slicer is too much. I understand for "professionals", but not having different licensing options that suits hobbyists is a downer.
[*] Unable to test before I buy. If I could, it would take me no more than a few minutes to find out if it fully supports WiFi and if it out of the box can print with a better result then I get now with FlashPrint. I might even buy it at $149 if I got to test it first and the print was better. (Better than an already good print with FlashPrint).
[*] Also a bit skeptic about having to shell out another $149 when version 5.0 comes out, and then another when 6.0, etc.

But I wouldn't be writing this if I had completely given up on Simplify 3D. I just have a few questions that could tip me either way:
[*] Is WiFi printing on the FlashForge Finder completely supported?
[*] How much better can the print be compared to FlashPrint? Can my under extrusion at the beginning of a layer be better out of the box?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”