bigfella

Having to wait for bed to head before extruder

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell simplify to not wait for the heated bed to reach temperature before the extruder can start heating. all my other bits of slicer software just heat both at once.

Thanks
Matt
jwiede

Re: Having to wait for bed to head before extruder

Agreed, I'd much prefer it set both temps at the same time, rather than first heat bed then hotend -- that order is often worst-case in terms of duration required.
jimc

normally i would never want the hotend sitting there cooking with plastic in it and not flowing. thats how the hot end starts to get tight and clog, however if you wanted to heat it up early wouldn't it be just as easy to just click the power on to the hot end in the machine control panel?
bigfella

Yeah you can do that. But as soon as you run the print it will turn the heater off. So you would need to pre heat the Hotend first then hit go.

All I want is for it to behave in the same way as it does in other software. Or at least have the option if you don't won't your hot end bubbling away.

jimc wrote:normally i would never want the hotend sitting there cooking with plastic in it and not flowing. thats how the hot end starts to get tight and clog, however if you wanted to heat it up early wouldn't it be just as easy to just click the power on to the hot end in the machine control panel?
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

bigfella wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell simplify to not wait for the heated bed to reach temperature before the extruder can start heating. all my other bits of slicer software just heat both at once.

Thanks
Matt
In the FFF Settings window, be sure the Advanced settings are exposed. In the Temperature tab, select the heated bed (in the list on the left). Then uncheck the box that says "[x] Wait for temperature controller to stabilize before beginning build".

At least with Marlin on my M2, this causes a different code to be sent to the printer. When the box is unchecked, it sends the code to simply change the temperature setpoint. When the box is checked, it sends a different code to the printer that changes the setpoint, then blocks execution (in the firmware, nothing to do with S3D) until the temperature is within a certain tolerance of setpoint.

Be sure you are looking at the Heated Bed temperature (selected in the left-hand frame). The Primary Extruder temperature can be controlled similarly.

It's in there. On the Temperature tab.
Dale
dnewman

For MakerBot style printers, I can confirm that unchecking that box, "Wait for temperature controller to stabilize...", will give the desired result. Both the HBP and extruder will be turned on and given their target setpoints. The start gcode will still have, after homing and whatnot, an M6 command to then wait for all activated heaters to reach their setpoints before beginning any extrusion.

Mind you, on a Replicator 1, 2, or 2X running MBI's stock firmware, you will still have serial heating: the extruder won't start heating up until the HBP has reached its target temp. This because of the small power supply MBI puts in their several thousand dollar bots. Even with Sailfish this is the case if you have a genuine Makerbot. If you have one of the clones with a more powerful power supply and are running Sailfish, then you get the heaters warming up in parallel. (Well assuming the manufacturer told the Sailfish team that that was okay for their bot and so they compiled the firmware build with that cripple point not present.)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”