dinsmoorc

Do I need to reload STL files after changes

I've been removing and reinserting STL files every time I change a part I'm designing. Generally I save and replace the STL file when I've made modifications. Is it necessary for me to remove and insert or will the factory file open the latest file as long as its in the same place and filename? I suppose I could test this but I'm hoping someone already knows this.
Ayres3D

Re: Do I need to reload STL files after changes

You will need to replace the STL as the original is held in the factory file (AFAIAA)
airscapes

The factory file holds everything as it was when you saved it.
So load your factory file, click remove on the top left pane to remove the model, then import your new STL file, then save factory file as and over write the old one. If you just click save factory file it does the same thing but that is a bad habit to get into. I will sometimes open a factory file with one model in it and then import a different model. If I click save it wipes out the original.. when I really wanted to save as and give it a new name.. Hope that makes sense
dinsmoorc

Thanks to both who posted. I guess I was doing it right all along. I would think it better if it could be linked to a STL file. Maybe I will suggest this as a feature. It can be a pain re-creating a factory file with a new design every time. That's what drove me to make this post as it seems like it would be a big improvement if the factory file rolled with the punches so to speak.
Ayres3D

dinsmoorc wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm Thanks to both who posted. I guess I was doing it right all along. I would think it better if it could be linked to a STL file. Maybe I will suggest this as a feature. It can be a pain re-creating a factory file with a new design every time. That's what drove me to make this post as it seems like it would be a big improvement if the factory file rolled with the punches so to speak.
I disagree. I think that it's important that the factory file is "fixed" so that a known good print configuration remains that. To do otherwise would compromise the biggest benefit of the factory file format. One of the requested feature changes, though, is a simple "refresh" button which would refresh the STL from the latest version, ideally retaining scaling and position. I think that leaving the things as they are but implementing a simple refresh is by far the better approach.
dkightley

…... I think that it's important that the factory file is "fixed" so that a known good print configuration remains that. To do otherwise would compromise the biggest benefit of the factory file format. One of the requested feature changes, though, is a simple "refresh" button which would refresh the STL from the latest version, ideally retaining scaling and position. I think that leaving the things as they are but implementing a simple refresh is by far the better approach.
I agree 100%.

I'm all for changes that ENHANCE the software.....I'd never agree to changes that ALTER how the software works. Apple did that with iTunes. It used to be a flexible package...its now a run of the mill audio player!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
mroek

dkightley wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 am
…... I think that it's important that the factory file is "fixed" so that a known good print configuration remains that. To do otherwise would compromise the biggest benefit of the factory file format. One of the requested feature changes, though, is a simple "refresh" button which would refresh the STL from the latest version, ideally retaining scaling and position. I think that leaving the things as they are but implementing a simple refresh is by far the better approach.
I agree 100%.

I'm all for changes that ENHANCE the software.....I'd never agree to changes that ALTER how the software works. Apple did that with iTunes. It used to be a flexible package...its now a run of the mill audio player!
I would argue that alterations will be crucial to actually make enhancements. That's not to say that I disagree that backwards compatibility is important, but if older factory files can be imported (and possibly converted) to a newer version/format without losing the info in them, that's of course the best.

That said, I don't think there's any reason to worry, the next version of S3D will most likely be pretty similar to the one we have today. Had it been a dramatic change, the major version number would have been bumped too.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”