moyesboy

Questions about support and other features

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 am

Are there any different pattern options for support structures? other slicers have many...
Can you even vary the angle that the only available dumb pattern of supports is created? yes I can rotate the part, instread, but really... than maybe it doesn't fit on the square build base...
The support structure sometimes doesn't work well at the edges of my part, because the supports run parallel to the edge, so the extrusion along the edge just falls into space.. Support density doesn't really cure it. This might be cured if the angle the dumb pattern is printed could be varied, or, of course, if almost any other than the dumbest support pattern was available, how about some honeycomb?
Is there a way to vary the support density/resolution for different areas of the part?
some areas of a part need more support than others. Some supported surfaces are inside and invisible and some are on the outside and visible, so its obvious that being able to have a more dense support structure in some places compared to others would be a huge advantage.
Vary density of in fill and skin thickness?
Obviously infill is in many ways is like support. So why not have lots of different patterns for both? Some parts of a model need to be stronger and some parts lighter. Varying skin thickness and infill density for different parts of the model would be great. All we have is a way to make it less dense toward the top of the build (or perhaps not, maybe that was a different slicer too). The Z axis is not necessarily related to the mechanical properties of the part anyway. Or are we all just supposed to print figurines and nothing actually useful?

I have my own printer for which I use Cura.
I have a suite of printers at work were we use Simplify3D, where there was a bigger budget. Sadly I am forced to keep taking stuff home to print because I am not able to get anything like the quality with simplify 3D that I can with Cura, despite my home printer being mechanically inferior, cheap and nasty.
This goes against everything I read about simplify 3D before recommending its purchase. But I've been at it 18 months now and I am now certain it is impossible to match the quality I get with Cura using simplify 3D.
What am I missing?
This cant be true surely?
Is there a whole bunch of locked up menus that I haven't found or something? I really hope so.
Please, show me that I am dumb and that your product is better than I think!

arhi

Re: Questions about support and other features

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 am

moyesboy wrote:
Are there any different pattern options for support structures? other slicers have many...
nope
moyesboy wrote:
Can you even vary the angle that the only available dumb pattern of supports is created?
Yes you can, support tab, "Support Infill Angles"
moyesboy wrote:
Is there a way to vary the support density/resolution for different areas of the part?
Vary density of in fill and skin thickness?
not ideal but you can do it by making different processes
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

C_Birch81

Re: Questions about support and other features

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 am

Angle of the infill can be edited under the support tab via: support infill angles, this also lets you make your own patterns if you enter more than one angle in.

Far i know you can only edit the support density via layer heights using the process's system.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”