BeepBeep3D

How to "print at height" without full bottom layer ?

Hello.
I am new to this forum, and I am eager to be part of it. I have a small business that plans to add 3d printing to its skills.
For now , I just have a small issue. I hope this is the right section of the forum, it could probably be posted it the other two sections as well.
Despite my researches in the forum, I could not find an answer to this question. But If some of you know a thread that I missed, please show me.

Here is my issue :

Il would like to use the feature "start printing at height x mm". When I do that, the gcode shows indeed a cut print starting at the required height (
what i have 2.JPG
what i have 1.JPG
). My problem is, the printer is still making the bottom layer.
I would like to start the print without the software making the first layer "full" (
what i want 2.JPG
).
I cannot use the option (bottom layers : 0) since it affects all the bottom layers of the part (like overhangs).
Ideally, my goal is : If I have to stop a print (power cut, or other issue), I wish to restart it by setting the height already printed, so the printer can restart the print like nothing happened. For that, I do not want the printer to make a new "full layer" when it restarts.

I tried my best to describe my issue accurately, let me know if you need more details.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for your help. :D
S3D-Jake

Re: How to "print at height" without full bottom layer ?

Use the variable settings wizard to set the first process to start where you want to start and then stop 3 layers up (+0.6 mm in the case of a standard layer height of 0.2 mm). Set the bottom solid layers of that first process to 0, then the upper process will add bottom solid layers where needed, but thanks to the added seamless process transitions added in 4.0 you won't see solid layers added in the parts of the models where the process split happens.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
sonali31

Re: How to "print at height" without full bottom layer ?

could you please elaborate your answer about the print at height ? Also does this question related to mechanical engineering field?

Code: Select all

mechanical engineer

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”