dkightley

Re: How to create a Negative for Molds?

It works on all versions...….

The key is to get the top faces aligned perfectly....then there isn't a "lid" created.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
horst.w

PERFECT !

Thanks

H.
jmone

@gearsawe = genius. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm printing a mold of the TreeFrog (no need for the offset as the feet will be where I pour the metal). I'll rotate the created mold so the feet face up for printing (to reduce bridging) in ABS with 100% infill for the box and then acetone the mold away. I'll let you know how it goes and post some pics.

Thanks
Nathan
Attachments
mold.png
Prusa MK3
sheddoggie

Brilliant indeed! I wanted to make a base for the Cellular lamp I found on Thingiverse but wanted it to fit on a base so I could add lights. I sliced a thin layer off the bottom of the lamp in Mesmixer and used that as the "plug". Haven't printed it yet, but it looks great. Thanks so much for sharing this little tip, I was seriously struggling with how to do this.
jmone

So the Frog is soaking in Acetone but I'm not hopeful on the quality based on this little pour (found a mold for a Tardis). It is covered by bubbles and from what I've read it looks like I need to dust the inside of the mold with Graphite. Doing another mold print as we speak.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this process as it uses a lot of plastic and time as you have to fill in a box (or other shape) around the original. What would really work is to be able to specify the # of Layers (like we can now), but have them added to the outside of the object not the inside.

More pics later.
Attachments
Tardis.jpg
Prusa MK3

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”