w0nk1

Slicing rough top layer at some points?

Hi there,

I'm using Simplify3D for some days and running into some issues. After slicing models I recognize some strange offsets at the top layer (view picture for details.). Anyone has an advice to fixing this issue?

cheers,
Markus
Attachments
settings 1
settings 1
settings 2
settings 2
Slicing Issues in the red circles
Slicing Issues in the red circles
JoeJ

Re: Slicing rough top layer at some points?

Layer tab, change External fill pattern to Concentric.
w0nk1

JoeJ wrote:Layer tab, change External fill pattern to Concentric.
still no difference. That is the file: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:82478

Any other ideas? =(
JoeJ

I think if you posted a picture of that same area after making that change, you would see that it most definitely makes a difference. However, you weren't very clear in your original question. If you're asking about the fact that the layers seem to be offset more and more from the layer below it as you get to the top of that rounded belly, that's just how 3D printing works. Try making a hemisphere out of legos - you'll see what I mean.
w0nk1

JoeJ wrote:I think if you posted a picture of that same area after making that change, you would see that it most definitely makes a difference. However, you weren't very clear in your original question. If you're asking about the fact that the layers seem to be offset more and more from the layer below it as you get to the top of that rounded belly, that's just how 3D printing works. Try making a hemisphere out of legos - you'll see what I mean.
Thanks Joe,

the lego explanation was perfect. ;) So there is no other way to make it smoother. Not a big Deal, but it would be great!

Thanks again! ;)
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

w0nk1,

You might use a second process, starting near the top, with a smaller layer thickness. Let's say you run most of the part at 0.2 mm layer thickness. Apply a second process, starting a mm or so from the top with an 0.1 mm layer thickness.

Like using the thin Legos where the curvature dictates, but the regular thickness Legos for the bulk of the build. You get the speed of the bulk layer thickness for the vast majority of the part, and the detail (and slowness) of the thinner layers only where you need them.

I think S3D has a tutorial for this on their tutorials page: http://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/
Dale

p.s.: That "w0nk" isn't your amateur radio callsign, is it? If not, I wish I could move to 0-land (Colorado etc.) just to apply for that call --- I'm forever watching the wonks on cable news instead of hamming it up on the air or playing with my M2.... DE W8ABZ
Last edited by dalew8abz on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenKOhms

nice suggestion Dale, I remember when I first started using s3d, I was quite unfamiliar with using more than one "process" per part, but now that I know I can add multiple processes per part, I find myself doing it consistently to really fine tune how i want a a part to print out.
w0nk1

dalew8abz wrote:w0nk1,

You might use a second process, starting near the top, with a smaller layer thickness. Let's say you run most of the part at 0.2 mm layer thickness. Apply a second process, starting a mm or so from the top with an 0.1 mm layer thickness.

Like using the thin Legos where the curvature dictates, but the regular thickness Legos for the bulk of the build. You get the speed of the bulk layer thickness for the vast majority of the part, and the detail (and slowness) of the thinner layers only where you need them.

I think S3D has a tutorial for this on their tutorials page: http://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/
Dale

p.s.: That "w0nk" isn't your amateur radio callsign, is it? If not, I wish I could move to 0-land (Colorado etc.) just to apply for that call --- I'm forever watching the wonks on cable news instead of hamming it up on the air or playing with my M2.... DE W8ABZ
Hi dale,

thanks for your advice.....but i guess it won't change something, I already built the whole minion with 0.1 layer thickness and still the "rough" part. But you both are right, I need to learn more about multiple processes ;)

P.S.: No, it's not my amateur radio callsign ;P I'm from germany, it's just a nickname out of my lastname "czerwonka" ;)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”