PicoTreed

Bed probing and Print area Placeholders

Hi all,
my printer has a really big bed and often I just need to print small object on different bed areas. So an high-definition probing (with a BLTouch) on the whole bed area can result in a useless and really time consuming activity.

So I'm looking for a way to probe, before each print, only the bed area affected by the print itself.
To obtain this result I need to set the probing grid in the GCode "starting script" using a dynamically composed M557 command, but at this stage I also need some sort of Simplify3D variables in order to "know" the maximum and the minimum X and Y value used in the print process.

Ideally I would obtain something like:

Code: Select all

M557 X[min_x]:[max_x] Y[min_y]:[max_y]
Does Simplify3D provide this kind of placeholders or is obtaining this goal a wild-goose chase?

Thank you!
Luke

P.S. = I'm using Simplify3D v. 4.1.1
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
S3D-Chris

Re: Bed probing and Print area Placeholders

The variables for build min and max are currently only available in the terminal commands for post processing section of the Scripts Tab. They are listed below:

[build_min_x] [build_min_y] [build_min_z]
[build_max_x] [build_max_y] [build_max_z]
PicoTreed

Thank you so much Chris!
I have one additional question: how to do some simple math in the terminal commands for post processing section of the Scripts Tab?

Ideally I would need something like:
{REPLACE "A" "([build_max_x] - [build_min_x]) /2)"}

Or something like:
[custom_variable] = (([build_max_x] - [build_min_x]) / 2)
{REPLACE "A" "[custom_variable]"}

Luke
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
S3D-Jake

PicoTreed wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 am Thank you so much Chris!
I have one additional question: how to do some simple math in the terminal commands for post processing section of the Scripts Tab?

Ideally I would need something like:
{REPLACE "A" "([build_max_x] - [build_min_x]) /2)"}

Or something like:
[custom_variable] = (([build_max_x] - [build_min_x]) / 2)
{REPLACE "A" "[custom_variable]"}

Luke
We currently do not have a function for performing math operations in the post processing script area. If you would like to call an external script you can certainly include some math fairly quickly.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”