blaknite7

Re: Purge Wall for dual prints

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:02 am

BaronWilliams wrote:I never saw that kind of nozzle swap happen.
So I tried an even simpler model and let it run a little more... In this case it seems like layer 2 of my print only uses 1 extruder instead of the two like it should. I made (attached) this to get the concept across. Since the layers above 2 seem to print as they should i am thinking this is a bug?!? Anyone else have an idea what could cause it?
Attachments
Capture.PNG

krouviere

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 pm

blaknite7, I have seen that happen. I think it may have to do with content of scripts for tool change and layer change. Are you using new_tool or old_tool in scripts?

blaknite7

Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:48 pm

krouviere wrote:blaknite7, I have seen that happen. I think it may have to do with content of scripts for tool change and layer change. Are you using new_tool or old_tool in scripts?
Krouviere, There is no information in the tool change or layer change. I have slightly modified start and end g-code, but that was to change the order of turning on the temperatures and slight movement modifications to prevent collisions from the clips i use to hold the glass plate on the bed. None of the scrips contain "new_tool" or "old_tool" in them...

BaronWilliams

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:00 am

I was too quick to reply before. I now recall that I did see this with a skirt before. I had 2. One for each color. It happened to 1 of the skirts. But never on the print itself. I think it was layer 2. Try adding a skirt to each process with a few layers and see if that moves the problem to the skirt instead of your print.

blaknite7

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:44 am

BaronWilliams wrote:I was too quick to reply before. I now recall that I did see this with a skirt before. I had 2. One for each color. It happened to 1 of the skirts. But never on the print itself. I think it was layer 2. Try adding a skirt to each process with a few layers and see if that moves the problem to the skirt instead of your print.
I haven't had a chance to try that yet, but I was reluctant to add more than one skirt because of the shape of the geometry; the skirts end up overlapping unless you make them REALLY large.

I ended up spending my files to the support group where they were able to replicate the issue but are still investigating. Once they figure it out ill gladly share the fix...

mstpub

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Anybody from Simplify3D that read the following post, can you please tell us if you plan adding a wall feature in your software instead of letting us try every possible work around. I bought this software for a lot of great features but am always back to Makerware FREE software that prints better when it is time for dual color printing. I think for such a good software (S3D) this is an enhancement that you should look at.

Thanks.

lkeppner

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:50 am

I more than support the same question: when is Simplify going to address the dual extruder problems? I also have had to give up on this other-wise wonderful software for anything with dual extruders. I am forced to use Cura anytime I want to print with both extruders (even for support material) because they have all the features we're looking for ( i.e purge walls, ooze shields (basically 1-perimeter skirts, separate retraction settings, etc).

But, as many of us have said, Simplify is absolutely superior in many ways for single extruder projects. I am anxious for Simplify to catch-up!

blaknite7

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:50 pm

blaknite7 wrote:
BaronWilliams wrote:I was too quick to reply before. I now recall that I did see this with a skirt before. I had 2. One for each color. It happened to 1 of the skirts. But never on the print itself. I think it was layer 2. Try adding a skirt to each process with a few layers and see if that moves the problem to the skirt instead of your print.
I haven't had a chance to try that yet, but I was reluctant to add more than one skirt because of the shape of the geometry; the skirts end up overlapping unless you make them REALLY large.

I ended up spending my files to the support group where they were able to replicate the issue but are still investigating. Once they figure it out ill gladly share the fix...
So I heard back from Simplify3D today. Turns out to be a bug in the GPX post processor for creating x3g files. The issue doesn't seem to present itself in the gcode/reprap testing. They are forwarding to their software guys so hopefully we get a bug fix in the next release.

Guy Winslow

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am

Unfortunately Purge wall for dual prints is a necessary evil. and Unless you are willing to add Extensive variable replacement in the custom gcode it cannot be dun in custom gcode. The gcode would need to now controller state, Slicer last coordinates, Slicer next coordinates, extruder drive position, where the object is on the build platform after the slicer has done that part and before the gcode is generated. And I don't now about the resins stated above, but the primary resin is the tool change will need the hotend purge. There are more resins but I think the point is made

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”