sstephan
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Codex404 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:33 am

How would it be a good thing to get rid of STL files while everyone else mainly supplies them? Any model from the internet then suddenly needs to be converted to a not STL file to use it...
Did you ever designed an stl file?
I guess not.
Its not like you wont be able to print stls, they'll simply add support for other file types.
Printing cad files have many advantages, for example adding more infill in highly stressed areas, not just changing the infill on horizontal plane.

Porcupineshiver
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 pm

sstephan wrote:
Codex404 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:33 am

How would it be a good thing to get rid of STL files while everyone else mainly supplies them? Any model from the internet then suddenly needs to be converted to a not STL file to use it...
Did you ever designed an stl file?
I guess not.
Its not like you wont be able to print stls, they'll simply add support for other file types.
Printing cad files have many advantages, for example adding more infill in highly stressed areas, not just changing the infill on horizontal plane.
You don't often design a STL file, you design the model in whatever application and export it in some universally readable format. Using solidworks, I don't want to bring a solidworks file natively into any software if possible, as the load times are horrid from the system reading the feature tree and translating that as opposed to the simpler process of loading vectors or raw geometry. I know this from several other CAM programs for machining that have native support - a STEP file works beautifully, and loading 30ish simple flat pattern STEP files onto a sheet for nesting takes maybe 5 minutes as opposed to an hour with solidworks parts. The pricing would also increase significantly, as they'd have to pay licensing fees to dassault and whomever, plus a yearly maintenance fee to update to the latest version of all supported CAD systems, even if you only use one. For the software price point, I don't see that enough people would happily pay a couple hundred a year ontop of the original purchase for it's mostly good but limited capabilities compared to higher end 3d printer software.

Against the bigger point of this thread, I don't mind if there's a hefty content patch that you have to pay for to get access, especially if it's a useful one. S3D is far from the only company to offer such a thing - If you're not interested, keep using the version you've got. It won't cost you a thing.

Wallabear
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm

S3D-Chris wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am
Mogal wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm

I've had S3D for awhile now. I've never looked at any other slicer since, so I have no idea how they've improved over time.
I'm happy with the ease of use, multiple profiles ect with S3D. Good prints too.

I hope the upgrade price wont exceed 20-25% of initial purchase. But we'll see.
Wish there was a 'teaser' as to what upcoming.
We will be teasing new features for both V4 and V5 updates as well as providing more info on upgrade pricing as the releases gets closer! We will also continue to post development updates to share our progress with the community.

If there are specific features you want to see added in the upcoming releases, please let us know!
What would be nice is teasing a time frame for the V5 upgrade Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4. I am looking forward to seeing what features are in the new software. I am currently running S3D at home and Cura at work. There are things I love about both. I really like the way Cura handles material and machine profiles vs S3D. and I love the multiple processes of S3D. Overall I like the quality out of S3D way better. but long for a better way to manage material and machine profiles. Can you give us a hit for a time frame ;)

Codex404
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 am

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am

sstephan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Codex404 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:33 am

How would it be a good thing to get rid of STL files while everyone else mainly supplies them? Any model from the internet then suddenly needs to be converted to a not STL file to use it...
Did you ever designed an stl file?
I guess not.
Its not like you wont be able to print stls, they'll simply add support for other file types.
Printing cad files have many advantages, for example adding more infill in highly stressed areas, not just changing the infill on horizontal plane.
To be honest: yes, I've written .obj and .stl files by hand as well gcode files.

And you were talking about "moving away from STL files". That really is not a smart move. Adding support for more file formats while keeping the old is never a bad thing, but that is not what you said in the comment I responded to.

kjohnson
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I don’t understand the issue with charging for the new release… Who on here have windows 7 or 10, how about Office or any other major software? Do you get the new release for free or even reduced price? NOPE!! I bought S3D only a few weeks ago I was told it’s a free upgrade for 12 months then it’s a SMALL FEE TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION.

spiritburner
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:11 am

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 am

Why are so many people upset over paying for an upgrade. I am a new user and i still am waiting for my 3d printer to arrive, I come from the photographic world and we are constantly bombarded with paid upgrades sometimes twice a year or at least every 9 months, a classic example is photoshop , for years i owned photoshop now i have to rent it why, I have paid thousands over the last 20 years in upgrades to the world best photographic editor now because i no longer own the software I have finally decided to move away and now use gimp and Lumniar, so why are you all unhappy, the best 3d printing software from my weeks or research into 3d printers and software appears to be this product, it costs virtually nothing to buy, a Friday night out in london for software which sounds like you have not have had to pay for again for some time. Companies can no longer exist on new users alone to continue to grow and improve the software. We all want new changes to keep up with technology and this costs money and programmers cost money so therefore we must all pay. In a post I saw a comment that for registered users it will be a small upgrade fee, to me that sounds like 50 USD more or less to me that does not seem a lot of money to pay to improve the best software there is for 3d printing. To have a product that you can draw with and then print from is unique in some arenas. To me I feel it's a small amount to pay to keep up with technology, I would not like to have to pay it every year but bi annually i would expect something to change and to be paid for. I know this will cause some problems being a newbie but I am just commenting from what i see in the photography world and how much software i have and what it costs a year to maintain. This seems a small amount in comparison.

gearsawe
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:52 am

I support a Major version upgrade. But there better be something major or great improvement.

port513
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:05 am

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 pm

I was promissed life times update when I bought this software.
As a developper I know what lies behind a software but if someone was promissed free updates you should honor that.
Will probably not upgrade to v5 since it's crappy as hell for my Prusa printer...

Prusa PE beats S3D with everything tied behind it's back so why pay a fee when there is a really good alternative.

I have a lot of software that once were free for lifetime that now are pay per year basis, but we who bought the software while free updates for life are still receiving these free updates.

The exception is the crappy AnyDVD who robbed me of 3 lifetime licenses since they said they could not generate the new keys as lifetime licenses. They are lying as hell ;)

Codex404
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 am

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:49 am

port513 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 pm
I was promissed life times update when I bought this software.
As a developper I know what lies behind a software but if someone was promissed free updates you should honor that.
Will probably not upgrade to v5 since it's crappy as hell for my Prusa printer...

Prusa PE beats S3D with everything tied behind it's back so why pay a fee when there is a really good alternative.

I have a lot of software that once were free for lifetime that now are pay per year basis, but we who bought the software while free updates for life are still receiving these free updates.

The exception is the crappy AnyDVD who robbed me of 3 lifetime licenses since they said they could not generate the new keys as lifetime licenses. They are lying as hell ;)
Who, how and when did they promise this to you?

spottyshowers
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:14 am

As long as they don't take the same steps other companies do and thats the dreaded subscription!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”