alexmit

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:03 pm

S3D-Chris wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:44 am
nodle wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 pm
Can we get a comment from the developers in this thread? It's like everyone is gone and no longer even responding. You would think they would want to comment in here and give people hope/an explanation on what is going on behind the scenes.
We will be releasing another Development Update this month and we can confirm that V5 development is still on track for release this year!
Will the development update talk about what the new feature set might include? It would be nice to know some sort of roadmap although I know you don't want to tee up a whole list of features, then possibly miss a couple that people will complain about if it doesn't make the initial release date.

grue19

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:56 am

damn i just bought it 4 days ago!

edit from another post: actually your purchase comes with 12 months of free upgrades. YES!

S3D-Chris

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:57 am

We recently posted a development update for Version 5.0 and answered some of the most common questions we have received since the initial announcement. Stay tuned for more development updates as the release gets closer!

robertwallace

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:33 pm

StealthPrint wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:03 pm
Prusa 2.0 released today. I think that's the killshot. Cleaned up the UI, added many SIGNIFICANT features. Constant community engagement. I'm going to download it and start getting familiar. They even provide a definitive "here is what we're working on for the next update." They've released two meaningful updates already this year. I can't even imagine how many light-years ahead S3D would be ahead if the continued development on a consistent schedule from when they were released.
As much as I agree with the requests for meaningful development updates and as much as I like S3D's superior UI, any new features announced by S3D will almost always be behind the Prusa slicer curve: Prusa slicer development is subsidized by hardware sales, so they can afford to spend resources on free-slicer development. The open source community is working on improvements, too. In addition, Prusa's work on their slicer also supports their hardware, so it's win-win.

S3D's sole source of income, as far as I can tell, is from slicer sales - in an arena dominated by free slicers. I'm surprised they've lasted this long. They were on top with their features and I'm pleased that I bought S3D several years ago, but that was the past.

I'll reconsider buying an upgrade to 5.0 (it's a "No." for now) if S3D can eventually give me a compelling reason why I should do so, considering the continually improving slicers available for free. Or they can make the upgrade inexpensive enough that it's a no-brainer to upgrade. They'd also better think about announcing features and pricing soon, before their customer base moves on.

PicoTreed

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am

S3D-Chris wrote:
We recently posted a development update for Version 5.0 and answered some of the most common questions we have received since the initial announcement. Stay tuned for more development updates as the release gets closer!
Thank you, but... there is nothing truly new in your update.
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.

arhi

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 am

S3D-Chris wrote:
That's a "marketing teaser", or "marketing update", or whatever else upadte but there's a ZERO development related stuff answered there ... what's going to be there, what the changes are, what development made into it that's not in the 4.x, what bugs are fixes and what features added .. that's DEVELOPMENT update ... the "you get it for free 12m after purchase of 4.x" has nothing to do with development (and that's about only answer you gave in that post ?!?!)
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Wallabear

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:49 pm

robertwallace I could not agree more with your last statement. Unfortunately after spending time using the Prusa Slicer 2.0 I do tend to use it more. My only problems is that it does take longer to slice than S3D, but I feel that it has been generating better prints, and more accurate time estimates. What gets me is that we were promised regular updates and the S3D camp has been remarkably tight lipped about 5.0. Even the last update that was posted was not so much an update as a "yep we are still working on it". About every other month or so I check back to see if anything else has been posted, and am never surprised that there is still no news. At this point if 5.0 drops after the 12 month window that I have for upgrades I have no plan to pay to upgrade since PS2.0 is such a good slicer, and they do a great job at keeping people updated on whats next. One of my favorite features is how easily you can add a M600 cmd just by moving the slider and hitting the "+" symbol. I think that by staying silent S3D is only hurting themselves since PS2.0 is really good and FREE!

B-H-S

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 pm

I agree about Prusa Slicer and it seems the world and its mother is moving to it, I like S3D and Id like to stick with it but the update needs to happen and soon, and yes the Prusa slicer is free but for how long?? have all your eggs in one basket and see what happens?? S3D you need to do something and quick software is holding things back, and others benefit from this delay,, Cura I hate it, S3D for me.

arhi

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:33 pm

B-H-S wrote:
yes the Prusa slicer is free but for how long??

changing the licence of PS is so incredibly hard that's almost impossible. they can make some other slicer from scratch but changing PS to something not open sourced that cost money requires **every single developer that pushed code into slic3r** to sign agreement to change the license.. and to change it to a non open source chance that all of them would agree is not gonna happen.

anyhow I'm sure we all know about other slicers and we tried them and we are still using s3d for this and that reason so let's try to stick with how to make s3d better / make some sens of the situation, rather then talk about PS and other free slicers that we all know exist, and most existed before we purchased s3d :D
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

dragonn

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:15 am

B-H-S wrote:
and yes the Prusa slicer is free but for how long??
For ever, it is open source.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”