Wallabear

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Jarhead wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:47 am
You don't understand why they're so quiet? Really??

It's because they are no where near what Prusa offers so now they are trying to scramble and catch up.
They had their version ready to release, but with all the requests in this thread, that were not implemented, and then with the features that other slicers are already offering, that were not implemented in the new version, they went back to square one and are trying to put together something way better than they originally had.
Which is gonna lead to a really poor quality release, when it finally does come out.
Damn, you know that never crossed my mind! The reason I never thought about that was that they said that they went back to the beginning and essentially re-invented slicing, so I have always been under the impression that they were a head of the curve because when they first released they were. but you know what that make complete sense to me! And of course they do not want admit it

PicoTreed

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:32 am

Jarhead wrote:
I understand you.
But the truth, for better or worse, is that we actually know nothing about the coming release. So, in my view, the important thing is to see the V5 version released before december 2019, than users will judge it.
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.

StealthPrint

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:30 pm

PicoTreed wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
I understand you.
But the truth, for better or worse, is that we actually know nothing about the coming release. So, in my view, the important thing is to see the V5 version released before december 2019, than users will judge it.
That's a lofty goal and very wishful thinking... You think they're just sucking their thumb and not reading the comments in this thread? Seems like they know they're on a sinking ship and are going to ride out the "2019 release" window they've left wide open for themselves to try and play catch-up to Prusa, knowing, quite literally, their ENTIRE business is riding on this release.

From Simplify 3D's actions we've seen thus far, it seems like they thought they were far enough ahead that they could rest on their laurels and maybe make a prettier UI, a few "tweaks", release V5, and collect the check.....then they realized the global state of affairs......

Either they have the WORST MARKETING TEAM IN EXISTENCE, or more likely they're praying a dev can pull one out of the hat before they sign their death warrant on V5's release. NO business makes a beginning of the year statement claiming grandeur to then make their customers wait, LITERALLY the entire year, WITHOUT providing a single "teaser" of new features on the horizon, which brings us back to the beginning.... worst marketing ever, or its a farce.

Either @S3DChris has his hands tied (owners saying "look, we don't have anything yet, so buy us time"), or he knows the deal..... and is being forced to go down with the ship.

PicoTreed

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 am

StealthPrint wrote:
That's a lofty goal and very wishful thinking...
Hi StealthPrint, thank you for your reply.
Don't get me wrong, you are making truly reasonable assumptions, but I'm speaking about facts. The facts show that we know knothing about the V5, so I hope to see the new release before december 2019, mainly in order to evaluate it without pay twice.

Thank you!
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.

Wallabear

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:52 pm

PicoTreed wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 am
StealthPrint wrote:
That's a lofty goal and very wishful thinking...
Hi StealthPrint, thank you for your reply.
Don't get me wrong, you are making truly reasonable assumptions, but I'm speaking about facts. The facts show that we know knothing about the V5, so I hope to see the new release before december 2019, mainly in order to evaluate it without pay twice.

Thank you!
@PicoTreed, your are right we do not know the full situation, but it seems to me that StealthPrint is correct on quite a few things. We were promised regular updates on features, time line and etc. . . We got 1, that is ONE "update" that basically was "yep we are still working on v5". Can you name me any software development company that announces software at the beginning of the year and does not follow that shortly after with a release time frame AND a list of expected features (besides Microsoft). I can not think of any. Your right that we can only hope that they release in or by December 2019. Personally I do not see that happening, unless like StealthPrint said they have the worst (or none) marketing department. Usually a new software release is teased by the marketing department for a short time before release to try and build a hype to drive more sales. Besides V5 being a slicer we have NO clue what the software contains or rather is supposed to contain because we have not gotten a real, true update! When there are a few really good slicers such as PrusaSlicer 2.0 and Cura that are free that you are competing against for a fee you need to build the hype and get momentum behind your software. Most businesses would continue to use a paid software, and a portion of the maker community will embrace a paid software but lets face it the vast majority of people will either run a free software that honestly is quite good, or just pirate the software. IF they want to sway more people to S3D we need to know what the HELL they are going to want us to buy and as of now we don't know AND we don't know, what we don't know!

@StealthPrint your right if you look at the stats on this thread it is the largest thread on the forum, the most viewed, there is NO WAY that someone at S3D has not seen this thread, but I really think that they do not care, which to me is worse. look at how much we have discussed other slicers in this thread alone and compared PrusaSlicer 2.0 and the new Cura to the existing S3D software. I do not know a company that would let that go unanswered. As many people have posted in this thread about updates and nothing. Going through there entire forum I really only see 2 people from S3D responding @S3DJake and @S3DChris. If V5 is not a complete revamp of slicing like they have claimed then your right V5 could possibly be the nail in their coffin.

mroek

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:59 am

I think the mere (and continued) existence of this thread is telling, but I'm not sure exactly what. The way I see it, it can be one of two:

1) Either the doomsday prophets are right, and S3D is on a steady decline into oblivion, and there's a "dont' care" attitude at S3D HQ.

or

2) The promised V5 is a massive and extremely impressive new slicer, taking the best parts from earlier versions, and adding new and innovative features.

Personally I am of course hoping for 2), but the lack of any real information is disturbing.

Deneteus

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 pm

StealthPrint wrote:
PicoTreed wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
I understand you.
That's a lofty goal and very wishful thinking... You think they're just sucking their thumb and not reading the comments in this thread? Seems like they know they're on a sinking ship and are going to ride out the "2019 release" window they've left wide open for themselves to try and play catch-up to Prusa, knowing, quite literally, their ENTIRE business is riding on this release.

From Simplify 3D's actions we've seen thus far, it seems like they thought they were far enough ahead that they could rest on their laurels and maybe make a prettier UI, a few "tweaks", release V5, and collect the check.....then they realized the global state of affairs......

Either they have the WORST MARKETING TEAM IN EXISTENCE, or more likely they're praying a dev can pull one out of the hat before they sign their death warrant on V5's release. NO business makes a beginning of the year statement claiming grandeur to then make their customers wait, LITERALLY the entire year, WITHOUT providing a single "teaser" of new features on the horizon, which brings us back to the beginning.... worst marketing ever, or its a farce.

Either @S3DChris has his hands tied (owners saying "look, we don't have anything yet, so buy us time"), or he knows the deal..... and is being forced to go down with the ship.
If they hadn't deleted my posts you would have seen the same points that I posted about this. I used to work for a construction software company that had a popular desktop program that did the exact same thing with their updates as S3D is doing currently. The destroyed customer trust and goodwill for a product that had a solid user base. They wasted millions on development on software that was never released and then they decided the wanted to move to a cloud version. The went 2 years without doing actual updates. The tried to limp along until their partners started having lawyers contact them because the were promising regular updates. Then while charging a yearly maintenance fee, they took feature requests that they had no plan on ever following up on because the knew they were moving to a cloud version. And when the cloud version final released it was a piece of crap and an entire state blocked their application via firewall and made the company refund all of the licenses they sold. The kept blaming the users for their machines being slow. At this rate we have seen zero progress but the want to charge people for updates when the don't even have a clear release schedule.

This a completely a management and marketing problem. Look at the fact that they lost their marketing manager and a bunch of developers left. If you need verification just look at Glass Door. Look at how many Youtube Influencers have stopped actively using S3D on their projects. Their web site was and marketing was setup to make it look like they were innovating and the failed to noticed that Slic3r and Cura had eclipsed their product in 2017. On top of that this forum has employees posting as 'happy satisfied shill users' and deleting posts that mention anything they don't like. Joel even had to make a video to get them to fix that login issue that the had been pushing off for years. Nobody has their hands tied. The have been instructed not to say anything by Mom. The last releases were for show and 4.1.2 is still broken. More than a few people downgraded to get back to where their software was working. They promised releases to get people to leave them alone.

E3D has had time enough to get Pathio online and Prusa literally bought another company, built out an entire printer farm and hired two dev teams in the time it has taken them to talk about v5 being a thing. How do you let Prusa Slic3r and Cura have that many updates before you even say anything? They are going to be touting Octoprint communication and Tree Supports as a new feature, watch.

subnoize

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:57 am

I will be just blunt with this; There is absolutely ZERO advantage to using Simplify3D v4 when compared to other current software. I doubt v5 will change that.

Back 4 years ago, sure, Simplify3D was the best on the market. Now they lag in every respect.

The only reason I would buy Simplify3D now is if I owned a cheap Chinese printer with terrible software. Yes, that is 99.999997% of the market. Just search Amazon. China has flooded the market with cheap hardware and the consumer has been seduced.

China has already claimed a scalp, Lulzbot.

BUT!!! I also see these same cheap Chinese printers starting to ship with Cura.

Either Simplify3D comes out with pure revolution in v5 or they are another American company bankrupted by the Chinese hordes because they didn't adapt to the new market.

I am not betting on Simplify3D. They seem like a 1 trick pony, I already have a HUGE investment from another 1 trick pony so I am very wary of where I spend my money going forwards.

Now, when they release v5 I will download the demo and if it prints with my legacy Lulzbots and the Taz Pros in my shop out of the box and it blows my socks off, I will buy the software.

But that is a very tall ask. I already get perfect prints on the Taz Pros, it is in fact impossible to screw up I think. The legacy Taz 6s are all tweaked so close to perfection that I rarely mess with the settings.

arhi

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:44 pm

subnoize wrote:
Now, when they release v5 I will download the demo and if it prints with my legacy Lulzbots and the Taz Pros in my shop out of the box and it blows my socks off, I will buy the software.
so, you are not s3d user? as s3d never ships (and afaik never shipped) a "demo" nor "trial", you buy it and then you use it
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Wallabear

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:07 pm

arhi wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:44 pm
subnoize wrote:
so, you are not s3d user? as s3d never ships (and afaik never shipped) a "demo" nor "trial", you buy it and then you use it
and if you do not like it then you fight for a while to get your refund!! Not first had experience, but a real good friend of mine went through it and it took some time and fighting to get his refund.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”