Daakter

Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

:twisted: So i received an e-mail from Simplify 3d ... here is a copy paste .....

Best of 2018
2018 was a big year for Simplify3D. We released our highly-successful Materials Guide, launched several innovative software updates, and reached a major milestone of supporting over 500 different 3D printers! The Simplify3D community continued to inspire us with thousands of innovative prints that demonstrated creativity and stunning print quality. We curated a list of the Best Prints of 2018 to highlight some of our favorites. We hope it will inspire you to create even more amazing prints in 2019 !

What's Next in 2019
We have big plans for 2019! Our development team continues to incorporate many of your ideas into the future roadmap for Simplify3D. A new Version 4 update is already in progress to address many common requests. At the same time, we are investing heavily into the development of Version 5.0, which is set to be the biggest update in our company's history. Version 5.0 will incorporate changes to almost every facet of the product, allowing us to make major improvements to the software. We also want to inform our users that Version 5.0 will be our first paid software upgrade. Stay tuned for more information about the exciting new features and upgrade pricing later in the year as we get closer to the release of Version 5.0.
The Simplify3D team remains dedicated to our mission of providing you with outstanding tools and support that enable you to push the limits of additive manufacturing. We are extremely excited for what's coming next and we look forward to another innovative year in 2019!
~The Simplify3D Team

Not happy about the Paid upgrade for Version 5.0 :cry:

When i bought my copy of Simplify3D i was told i would have a lifetime of Free upgrade ... at the time i bought this i paid good money and trusted them for what i was told ... now i am not so sure anymore
S3D-Jake

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Version 5 will be a massive update to our product, so there will be a small upgrade fee required to upgrade to this new version. If you have already purchased a Simplify3D license in the past, you will not need to buy a full license again, there will only be a small upgrade fee required. We will be providing more information about features and upgrade pricing later in the year as the release gets closer.

We also have more updates planned for Version 4 which we are working on at the same time. You can continue receiving updates to Version 4, and can keep using that version, even if you do not wish to upgrade to Version 5.

I was not aware of any advertising in the past that promised free lifetime upgrades. However, if you still have specific questions about your order or terms, please feel free to email our team directly using the link below:
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Codex404

@S3D-Jake
Can a rough estimated time of release of V5 be disclosed? Like second half 2019 or third quarter 2019. I do understand if that is not yet possible.
3DWP

In another thread somebody posted a ''Way back machine'' link and as far as I can see Simplify3D never stated you would get free updates for life.

I have a S3D license for years now and have received a couple of free updates and don't expect or demand this to be free forever. I'm happy with what I have paid for, it was by far the best gcode software at the time and it takes time, money and effort to keep software updated and competitive.

Sure there are good free slicers out there with nice features but I have always chosen S3D as my main slicer. I don't know what the fee will be but I will probably pay it if it makes sense.

I think if S3D doesn't make this move they will have to close all development and that would be worse. A lot of people are already complaining they are falling behind other (free) slicers. People expect everything to be free nowadays. ;)
https://www.instagram.com/3dwp/
https://www.3dwp.nl
PhillipM

I have no issues with paying towards continuing development so long as we get a year or two of free updates between - provided that work continues on quashing bugs and issues with 4.1, etc, as they're going to end up supporting multiple versions.
ViperZ

I think that I naturally pay the expense of upgrade.
However, if there is a scad error like Ver4.1.1, I do not want to pay.
I use 3D printer for work.
Ver4.1.1 had many troubles and disturbed work.
By Ver5, I want quality to improve.
wirlybird

ViperZ wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:29 am I think that I naturally pay the expense of upgrade.
However, if there is a scad error like Ver4.1.1, I do not want to pay.
I use 3D printer for work.
Ver4.1.1 had many troubles and disturbed work.
By Ver5, I want quality to improve.
I agree. I don't mine and do expect to pay for major upgrades on software.
However, if the new version we may have to pay for is as much of a train wreck as 4.1 and 4.1.1 then no way.
Most of my printing is for customers so the software must work correctly. Especially for the fairly stiff price of it.
blackbird2016

Reading the first post of this thread I sat down and transfered my settings to Slic3rPE.
It took me a day to be back in game and what should I say....
It prints pretty nice, even better in some parts. I now have all the functions,
even whistles and bells people are asking and begging here in vain.
Dowside is Slic3rPE clearly needs longer to slice, the workflow is completely different and
placing supports is kind of awkward and not as intuitive as in S3D.
And still I never touched my S3D installation ever since.
I am through here...
horst.w

I'm disappointed about all users who want to void a bucket of water before the bucket is filled!

When I started with 3D printing in 2014 I bought an expensive printer for more than 2,300 € / $ , S3D included with a value of 145 €/$
At the same time I bought a CAD program - Via CAD Pro - version 9 for 230 €, reduced to 185 € because a new version was anounced.
The new version 10 came out 6 month later and I must pay another 120 €. Additionally they have excluded some function and added some other functions to an extra plugin, named Powerpack, another 100 €.
Now we have version 11, some functions are new and minimun 3 functions minor and I must pay for this 90 €. The out sourced part of the Powerpack 10 doesn't run on version 11, now I forgo to buy it, because it has mostly unwished functions for me. And the generally lost functions where really important for me. But they said that they must exclude this functions because the Axis licences are to expensiv for them.
Ok, the lot of bugfixes where for free.

horst.w
GER
Raise3D Pro Plus 2

If you implement in 5.0 sandwich material option I will pay. Carbon fiber and Kevlar... composite printing is a future.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”