S3D-Chris

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

mroek wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 am The lack of updates on the update is a bit concerning. June is now a long time ago, and we're even nearing the end of the year, so version 5 should hopefully be close to ready now.

Could the community please have some info on what is going on, and what to expect?
Our team continues to make significant progress and we are still on track to release V5 later this year. We will be posting more development updates that will include additional information on pricing and new features as we get closer to the release date.
Exerqtor

S3D-Chris wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm
mroek wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 am The lack of updates on the update is a bit concerning. June is now a long time ago, and we're even nearing the end of the year, so version 5 should hopefully be close to ready now.

Could the community please have some info on what is going on, and what to expect?
Our team continues to make significant progress and we are still on track to release V5 later this year. We will be posting more development updates that will include additional information on pricing and new features as we get closer to the release date.
Hey Chirs,

I'm aware this might not be the right place to ask for this, but can you PLEASE give us some small snippets on weither a couple totally trivial things that's downright missing in 4.1.2 will come in 5.0 ?

1: Enabling / implementation of firmware retraction setting.
2: "One click" ironing of some sort.
3: A better and "hollow" purge tower that wastes less filament, for layers not including tool changes (like what Filaswitch generates).
4: Filament specific g.code.
5: And last but not least, a COMPLETE and updated list of placeholders, and where they can be used (and a little description on what they do). So that we can make better use of the functionalities that's actually exisiting already. Simply removing un-needed guesswork!

It's almost 1 full year since 5.0 was teased, and we haven't gotten ANY tangible info yet, only what i can best describe as propaganda.

Don't think it's to much to ask for at this point. More and more users are looking into other slicers due to the share lack of community and customer info given.
Wallabear

@S3D-Chris Not to sound like a smart ass but how much closer to the release date are we talking? Are you going to post the updates to features and pricing like 24 hours before you push it out? We are rolling down to the end of the year like 2.5 months. Most companies have released a list of expected launch features with a expected time frame by now, maybe a quick video. I think I can safely say that I speak for a large portion of people when I say that we really would like to know a what we can expect from Simplify and how much you are expecting us to pay for it, which being that we have already paid for the software, is not unreasonable. I fully understand that there can be issues with software development so you do not want to promise too much in the off chance that you can not follow through, but come one you guys have to have something that you can tease. You promised regular updates in one of your earlier posts in this thread we got 1 update in June that really was not an update at all, merely a conformation that S3D is in fact still working on V5.
SnowDrifter

I mean the purchase conditions stated free software upgrades for 1 year. I'm not losing sleep over it
Wallabear

I am not really sweating it either, except I purchased my seat of S3D right after they made the announcement of V5 and said it was going to be released in 2019. But if they do miss their 2019 "date" then I will have to pay to upgrade unless they extend the upgrade period for those who purchased their seat of S3D in 2019.
PicoTreed

Dear S3D team,
I trust in you, don't mess with us and please release V5 before december 2019!

Sincerely yours,
Luke.
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
PicoTreed

Jarhead wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:47 am You don't understand why they're so quiet? Really??
I understand you.
But the truth, for better or worse, is that we actually know nothing about the coming release. So, in my view, the important thing is to see the V5 version released before december 2019, than users will judge it.
PicoTreed

StealthPrint wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:30 pm That's a lofty goal and very wishful thinking...
Hi StealthPrint, thank you for your reply.
Don't get me wrong, you are making truly reasonable assumptions, but I'm speaking about facts. The facts show that we know knothing about the V5, so I hope to see the new release before december 2019, mainly in order to evaluate it without pay twice.

Thank you!
Wallabear

PicoTreed wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 am
StealthPrint wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:30 pm That's a lofty goal and very wishful thinking...
Hi StealthPrint, thank you for your reply.
Don't get me wrong, you are making truly reasonable assumptions, but I'm speaking about facts. The facts show that we know knothing about the V5, so I hope to see the new release before december 2019, mainly in order to evaluate it without pay twice.

Thank you!
@PicoTreed, your are right we do not know the full situation, but it seems to me that StealthPrint is correct on quite a few things. We were promised regular updates on features, time line and etc. . . We got 1, that is ONE "update" that basically was "yep we are still working on v5". Can you name me any software development company that announces software at the beginning of the year and does not follow that shortly after with a release time frame AND a list of expected features (besides Microsoft). I can not think of any. Your right that we can only hope that they release in or by December 2019. Personally I do not see that happening, unless like StealthPrint said they have the worst (or none) marketing department. Usually a new software release is teased by the marketing department for a short time before release to try and build a hype to drive more sales. Besides V5 being a slicer we have NO clue what the software contains or rather is supposed to contain because we have not gotten a real, true update! When there are a few really good slicers such as PrusaSlicer 2.0 and Cura that are free that you are competing against for a fee you need to build the hype and get momentum behind your software. Most businesses would continue to use a paid software, and a portion of the maker community will embrace a paid software but lets face it the vast majority of people will either run a free software that honestly is quite good, or just pirate the software. IF they want to sway more people to S3D we need to know what the HELL they are going to want us to buy and as of now we don't know AND we don't know, what we don't know!
mroek

I think the mere (and continued) existence of this thread is telling, but I'm not sure exactly what. The way I see it, it can be one of two:

1) Either the doomsday prophets are right, and S3D is on a steady decline into oblivion, and there's a "dont' care" attitude at S3D HQ.

or

2) The promised V5 is a massive and extremely impressive new slicer, taking the best parts from earlier versions, and adding new and innovative features.

Personally I am of course hoping for 2), but the lack of any real information is disturbing.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”