Jarhead

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Can anyone say if V5 will change (fix really) the rotating view?
I'll explain what I mean if it's not known.
If I have a part on the bed of Simplify3D and I rotate that view, the axis is always in the center of the machine it seems.
So if I zoom in on the part and go to rotate, the part goes way off the screen and I have to pan around to find it.
As any other 3d software does, the axis should be where the actual cursor is when clicking. That way you always have the part in view.
S3D-Chris

Jarhead wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:38 pm Can anyone say if V5 will change (fix really) the rotating view?
I'll explain what I mean if it's not known.
If I have a part on the bed of Simplify3D and I rotate that view, the axis is always in the center of the machine it seems.
So if I zoom in on the part and go to rotate, the part goes way off the screen and I have to pan around to find it.
As any other 3d software does, the axis should be where the actual cursor is when clicking. That way you always have the part in view.
We will be posting more information about new features later in the year as the release gets closer. This will include updates planned for Version 4 which we are working on at the same time!

If you have features you want to see in the software please let us know with a feature request: viewforum.php?f=23
PicoTreed

I'm very happy with S3D.
I just bought the 4.1.1 version in the past month (Jan 2019), it was a bit of "shock" to read that I shall have to pay for the Version 5! :roll:
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
3dfkevin

Having just purchased S3D a month or two ago I am very sad to see that I will also have to pay for this upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I love the software, and I'm excited for the update. I just wish I would've known beforehand so I could have waited on V5... :cry:
S3D-Jake

We actually already provide 1 year of free software updates along with your license purchase. This means that if you purchased the software now, you would still be able to upgrade to any version released within the next 12 months for free.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/#faq-5690

As Chris said, we will be posting more information about new features later in the year as the release gets closer. This will include updates planned for Version 4 which we are working on at the same time!

Hopefully this helps to ease your concerns.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
batab

Yay,
me too, bought on october 2018 and would be rather annoyed to see an eventual fee for the 5.0 release.

If that will be the case I will consider having bought S3D a straight up "bad investement". Otherwise I would say it is actually a good investement since the software IS actually good and HAS many pros compared to other slicers. However having an additional fee after 1 year only would not be nice considering that the vast majority of slicers arefree, the 3D printing world is evolving quite fast and S3D does not cost few bucks.

This being said I'm still very happy with the software itself.
Codex404

batab wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 am Yay,
me too, bought on october 2018 and would be rather annoyed to see an eventual fee for the 5.0 release.

If that will be the case I will consider having bought S3D a straight up "bad investement". Otherwise I would say it is actually a good investement since the software IS actually good and HAS many pros compared to other slicers. However having an additional fee after 1 year only would not be nice considering that the vast majority of slicers arefree, the 3D printing world is evolving quite fast and S3D does not cost few bucks.

But even if you didn't have the free upgrade you don't HAVE TO pay for an upgrade. You can always keep using the version you are happy with right now.
arhi

Codex404 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:10 am You can always keep using the version you are happy with right now.
would be cool but if for any reason company goes under we are all done with it as 4.x (3.x too, probbly prev versions too) require activation server to be reachable in order to verify it can work or not so if they kill the domain, stop paying for server, whatever - we don't have the app any more
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
3DWP

Codex404 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:10 am
batab wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 am Yay,

But even if you didn't have the free upgrade you don't HAVE TO pay for an upgrade. You can always keep using the version you are happy with right now.
Exactly, I don't understand the problem. It's so normal for software companies to charge for upgrades. For instance I have SketchUp Pro. Do you think I will get that for free indefinitely? No, you pay €636 excluding VAT and you will get 1 year of maintenance. After that year I still have my license of SketchUp but I won't get updates, I have to pay an update fee to keep maintenance and bump up the version of the software. It works like this for many software packages it's just S3D did not use this model up to now so people are surprised.
https://www.instagram.com/3dwp/
https://www.3dwp.nl
batab

It's not like I don't understand. I use many costly software (way above 50k) but still this is very different.

You have to compare the software you pay for, to what the other companies offer. I'm just saying that having to pay for a major release just one year after purchasing is quite annoying because:
- competitors are mostly free to use
- S3D 4.1 and 4.1.1 came in with many issues
- the price is not that low for this type of software
- update policy is usally kind of slow meaning that in your year of free updates you will most likely only get major bug fixes (which shouldn't even ship with a stable release)
- competitor feature update policy is faster and this market evolves fast

And yes what I said was correct, you HAVE TO pay FOR AN UPGRADE. I didn't just say YOU HAVE TO PAY to use the actual release like it's a 1-year leasing license.

Let's just compare apples to apples. And just so you know, I will pay the fee for sure if it's small, I'm just saying it's fairly annoying to pay it after 1 year from the purchase considering what I highlighted above.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”