TheBum

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

S3D-Chris wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:55 pm
TheBum wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:10 pm The big thing missing for me in 4.x is color mixing. If 5.0 doesn't include that and I'm outside the 1-year upgrade window when it releases, I'll probably stick with 4.x for a while.
Thank you for the feature request. We have sent your idea to our development team to review!
This feature was already requested...in early 2016 with 15 replies also asking for it: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4641

That's why I'm hopeful 5.0 will have it: the developers have had plenty of time to implement it.
Wallabear

I am starting to agree with you, like you said we are halfway through the year, and have heard nothing! Most companies have been running the hype train talking up new features that are in the software about to roll out. And like you said have a set scheduled as to when the upgrades will drop. They could at least tell us Q3 or Q4, they could have told us back in Jan / Feb when ruffly we should be looking for the V5 to drop. I have been a big S3D for a while now and have been very happy with the results so far, but their community feedback has been realy lacking. Which for being a company that charges for a slicer when most all the other slicers are free or open sourced they REALLY REALLY need to do a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better job communicating with their end users. Do they realize that they depend on US as customers, when there are so many free options that keep getting better all the time; I wounder why even bother paying for a slicer. You would think that with a big release like this they would be driving the hype train, blowing their own whistle. Putting videos out saying here are some features in S3D V5, look at what we are doing. Making us salivate, make us want to have the software this minute, make it so we can not wait for you to release it. Instead everything is quite, not a word. PLEASE S3D GIVE US SOMETHING!!!
nodle

Can we get a comment from the developers in this thread? It's like everyone is gone and no longer even responding. You would think they would want to comment in here and give people hope/an explanation on what is going on behind the scenes.
Wallabear

S3D-Chris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am
Mogal wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm
I've had S3D for awhile now. I've never looked at any other slicer since, so I have no idea how they've improved over time.
I'm happy with the ease of use, multiple profiles ect with S3D. Good prints too.

I hope the upgrade price wont exceed 20-25% of initial purchase. But we'll see.
Wish there was a 'teaser' as to what upcoming.

We will be teasing new features for both V4 and V5 updates as well as providing more info on upgrade pricing as the releases gets closer! We will also continue to post development updates to share our progress with the community.

If there are specific features you want to see added in the upcoming releases, please let us know!
I guess S3D-Chris forgot to tell "them" about posting development updates and sharing updates with the community like he said they would. I don't think I have seen one update since they announced it. I can not say how disappointed I am with the way S3D is handling this V5 thing.
frobozz

I'm a moderate hobbyist user with both a Crane Quad 4-color mixing extruder and an older Dual extruder Monoprice Architect. I'm more than happy to pay for quality software, so no worried on an upgrade fee for version 5! Here's my wish list:
  • Easy switch between printers
  • a way to assign color and/or tools to portions of geometry without pre-processing outside of Simplify
    - Process now is laborious: cutting objects into sub-objects and then carefully aligning them in simplify; worst-case help me line things up
  • Multi-color printing / voxelization for color-map assignment, i.e. paint colors
  • Keep the object modify panel always open! I use it constantly as it is the only way to precisely move multiple parts on the build-plate
  • Much better support control:
    - Size the support manually instead of just having one size over and over again
    - Ability to edit supports after placement
    - Ability to use different types of supports like trees or angled supports to save on material
  • Decouple print speed settings from other settings like brims, ooze control, temp, etc.
    - I want to independently assign speed controls to a process as I print and not in any way affect the settings.
    - It's like in the UI I want a multi-property process that can easily toggle one aspect quickly, I'm using print quality vs. supports and temps as an example.
Newtron

Well great! I JUST purchased the product, now to read that the upgrade will cost me even more. That's not cool at all. I sure hope there is consideration as to when customers purchased the product.
jmone

I've been using the new Prusa Slicer exclusively for the last week with my MK3s/MMU2S ..... and it works. Also, as a result I'm now getting used to the UI and Workflow as I really till now only had experience with S3D. The only thing I miss so far is the custom supports which is much easier in S3D. I don't mind paying the Coin for the V5 upgrade but it better be great and dropping soon else I'll be in the Prusa Slicer camp more and more. I even submitted a bug report for Prusa Slicer and I could see a fix was committed on 2 days later!
Prusa MK3
Wallabear

Newtron wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:44 pm Well great! I JUST purchased the product, now to read that the upgrade will cost me even more. That's not cool at all. I sure hope there is consideration as to when customers purchased the product.
actually your purchase comes with 12 months of free upgrades. which should be lifetime like was said when S3D first announced their product, but hey whatever. Their track record of following through with what they say is spotty at best. In previous posts by S3D we were promised updates and information about features in V5 but lets just not do what we say we are going to do. You should be covered for V5 IF they are going to release it, here we are halfway through the year and all we have is their announcement from Jan/Feb that they will release V5. Most companies have already released a time line and feature list by now. I am VERY disappointed in S3D as a company, too bad their slicer is decent, but they better watch out after using the Prusa Slicer 2.0 I am almost a complete convert, at least their slicer give a fairy accurate print time and is not at least 25% under estimating print time. They way the communicate reminds me of MakerGeeks, and we all know what happened to them. I sent S3D an E-mail and it took almost 2 weeks to get a response, which is unacceptable. The sad thing is up until recently I strictly used S3D and even recommended it to quite a few people, but now I have been recommending something else, because with the lack of info coming out of them I am not sure they will be around.
beber75

Hi,

We are in june and it was announced at the beggining of the year that there is upcoming version 5.0.
Is there any planning date for the first release (don't blame me I have not read all 10 previous pages).

Regards
S3D-Chris

nodle wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 pm Can we get a comment from the developers in this thread? It's like everyone is gone and no longer even responding. You would think they would want to comment in here and give people hope/an explanation on what is going on behind the scenes.
We will be releasing another Development Update this month and we can confirm that V5 development is still on track for release this year!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”