smoki3

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

I am very happy with the paid upgrade. If you look at all the other software developers as microsoft and so on they also do exactly this or now move to a monthly paid system. Or have you get a free upgrade from Office 2010 to Office 2016? For those which it its not worth to upgrade to 5.0 they can stay at 4.x and be happy with a lifetime license.

Please consider, they have to pay all the developers. If you don't earn money with the new software then the company will be dead before it started. If we really want new features and a better software we have to pay the developers. Or do you want to go to work every single day in your life with out getting paid.
SonishaR

Raise3D Pro Plus 2 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm If you implement in 5.0 sandwich material option I will pay. Carbon fiber and Kevlar... composite printing is a future.
I completely agree with you.
gillSpie

When you say "small" fee for upgrade, how much are we talking about?
S3D-Chris

gillSpie wrote: When you say "small" fee for upgrade, how much are we talking about?
If you have already purchased a Simplify3D license in the past, you will not need to buy a full license again. There will only be a small upgrade fee required. We will be providing more information about features and upgrade pricing later in the year as the release gets closer.
StealthPrint

As someone who is likely to be unaffected by the paid update as I only recently joined the S3D family, and I definitely love S3D, please do not take the following too harshly. I think the main points of contention are as follows.

People are irritated they paid $150 for a "premium" software understanding it would be continuously supported and now it is barely ahead of the free softwares that seem to be soon to overtake it, as Prusa continues to pump out meaningful updates. Add Pathio beta recently released by the development powerhouse E3D, yikes. Don’t get me wrong, I love s3d. I’ve been printing for 6 years but just got s3d about 7 months ago, but its not even remotely as far ahead as it once was when I first started printing. There seems to be a track record of inconsistency and it would be extremely challenging to make pricing determinations for updates, I'm guessing which is why none have been mentioned, which doesn't bode well for current and potential customers.

I'm sure many are thinking, what if you pay and s3d puts out no updates for a year? You’re screwed. Only pay for major updates maybe? Well then everyone who didn’t get the last “main” upgrade is certainly screwed/barred on any interim upgrades/updates after the most recent “main upgrade”. S3D seems to lack the business structure to create a long term, active development strategy, while also maintaining a timeline. I don't think I've seen much beyond "we're working on some stuff we'll release eventually." Without a timeline, pricing structure, and expectations, it is definitely much harder to marry yourself to this software.

Please don't get me wrong, S3D is a fantastic software, but you had a 4 year headstart. Recently, S3D seems more reactive than active now that Prusa has really closed the gap, and certainly isn't letting up.

I have big hopes for this update.... whenever it comes out, regardless of price. I just hope S3D can get this car back to a lap ahead. I'm certainly happy to pay for an upgrade if I know that's where we're heading.
SteveIsHeer

I agree that paying for upgrade is the norm for most software companies but I am having a hard time with doing so with S3D because from all the testing I have done with it and other slicers (which are free), there is not enough extra features to warrant it.. Yes the interface is fairly easy to use in comparison to other slicers but I didn't pay for ease of use, I paid for level of print quality. There have been too many bugs that are just not being addressed in S3D at all or not in a timely fashion. If I pay for something labeled as Professional then I expect the bugs to be squashed as they are found. S3D is falling way behind on both fixing bugs and for developing new features to qualify it as professional software. The rate of updates is way too slow for those of us using the software in a professional environment and feature development are falling way behind the free slicers. I have recently took a look at E3D's development of their free slicer, Pathio, which is currently in beta development and it has features that S3D should have implemented ages ago as a paid package. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject......
It show's to go you how feelish you fool when your tang is all tungled up and you bart stalking tackwards!
3DWP

SteveIsHeer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm I agree that paying for upgrade is the norm for most software companies but I am having a hard time with doing so with S3D because from all the testing I have done with it and other slicers (which are free), there is not enough extra features to warrant it.. Yes the interface is fairly easy to use in comparison to other slicers but I didn't pay for ease of use, I paid for level of print quality. There have been too many bugs that are just not being addressed in S3D at all or not in a timely fashion. If I pay for something labeled as Professional then I expect the bugs to be squashed as they are found. S3D is falling way behind on both fixing bugs and for developing new features to qualify it as professional software. The rate of updates is way too slow for those of us using the software in a professional environment and feature development are falling way behind the free slicers. I have recently took a look at E3D's development of their free slicer, Pathio, which is currently in beta development and it has features that S3D should have implemented ages ago as a paid package. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject......
To be fair, Pathio is in beta and only in beta it will be free. People are paying for it by testing it for E3D basically. I expect that it will maybe be subscription based payment when the software is out of beta.

I do feel there are a lot of other free slicers with nice features but then people wouldn't be using Simplify3D. I mainly use S3D even after testing other free slicers. But I would like to see more improvement and features. I am eagerly waiting for the support distance to be changed from layers to a real distance. When I print with 0.3 mm layers a gap of 0.3 mm between support and model is not working. I believe Silc3r PE has this option.
https://www.instagram.com/3dwp/
https://www.3dwp.nl
jeevesme@hotmail.com

I would have gladly paid for updates:
- had the initial price been $75 or less,
- and they were up front about update fees of x amount ($20?) Per year,
- and they updated the software more than every 18 months,
- and the updates were more than just bug fixes and added printer support,
- and they actually listened to their customer's requests and suggestions

If they had any intelligence at all, they would have done this from the beginning and satisfied their customers instead of alienating them by extorting them for more money in order to use software they assumed they were going to get too use with the updates included.
scoobdiddy

What I don't like is the way it used to be worded on their website about your license. I think a lot of people myself included took the words perpetual license to mean you would get upgrades or updates. They never actually said when I purchased that you only get 1 year of upgrades or actually anything about upgrades or updates. So the way it used to be worded, I think, was a bit misleading. They should have had something in there about needing to buy future versions or something or even how it is worded now makes sense.

From their FAQ when I purchased my license it said:

Q: Is this a subscription or SAAS product? How long is the license valid for?
A: Simplify3D is currently sold as a perpetual license. This means that your license will not expire and that you can continue to use the version of the software that you purchased in the future without any additional payments.

Re-reading it today with different context; I get it says the version you purchased, but clearly a lot of people thought they were buying a perpetual license for future updates/upgrades. I hope they take that into account when setting pricing for customers that purchased the software before they changed their site.
StealthPrint

The lack of activity by S3D on their own forum regarding this post says quite a bit....

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”