myprinter

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

I have no problem paying for stable and nice software!
S3D is not expensive compared to what i use it for.
I have compilers for some micro there cost many times what i have payed for S3D, and the license i only for one year!
So for me it is ok to pay for a V5 license.
andcorptech

3DWP wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 pm In another thread somebody posted a ''Way back machine'' link and as far as I can see Simplify3D never stated you would get free updates for life.
I laughed at this post...the guys been using it for 2+ years now and want a refund because its a paid upgrade. Holy crap even if its the same price again to upgrade, it beats 99% of all other software companies in niche markets offering paid upgrades, i have customers who pay $20000 + each year for upgrades. And im very thankful that S3D hasnt made it subscription like other software.

Having said that...I do have negative feedback to this too....S3D simply doesn't update often, no matter how much they bang on about "coming in future releases" a couple of upgrades a year , or less as has been in the past...simply will not cut it if your making it paid upgrades. Especially when the free alternatives are catching up, and in some ways surpassed the benefits S3D offers. In some prints i get much better quality in Cura, and on other better quality in S3D.

I will almost certainly buy the new upgrade, I love the software, and I have got more than its worth of value over the years, but I really hope S3D becomes more agile and faster in their releases, or it may well be the last upgrade they are in business to offer

Just my 2c worth
Raise3D Pro Plus 2

For example. I'm Raise Pro2 Plus owner. I got for free Idea Maker... but I'm working on S3D. Why? Is better. No window chaos, more intuitive software. I really love it. I hope 5.0 will be clean also.
bananacat89

I just bought my s3d this fall . If I have to pay for this upgrade , I am going to be pretty upset. As a new 3dprinter hobbyist and student I barely could scrape up the initial cash for it. Was like close to 200 Canadian. For that price i would expect free updates for awhile.. I don't think my version has even seen one update yet.

Sadly I can't really afford much with school and all. I will migrate to a different free software. I like this one but its not worth the price unless its free upgrades. For a grace period at least. To many good alternatives now. Not to mention I will feel extremely ripped off and scammed to say the least...
nodle

I wanted to chime in as well. I understand companies need money for continuing production, but I also feel somewhat ripped off as well. I just purchased last year as well, and at my time of purchase and the lack of updates last Summer I felt like they have abandoned the whole software. Finally I get 4.1 updated and now they want to charge more. If you are going to go this route then make the software $49.99 or something lower then charge for updates. I felt like when I was buying it that it was a "lifetime license" sort of thing. I understand that it never said that but, it also never said futures updates will be "so and so $$$". If I would had saw that then I would had probably backed away. I think people are going to be mad when they come back here when a new version gets released and now have to pay an upgrade fee. They should make people that have purchased up to their next release date "lifetime licenses" then with all future license holders a "pay for updates business model".
velcrohead

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:57 pm Version 5 will be a massive update to our product, so there will be a small upgrade fee required to upgrade to this new version. If you have already purchased a Simplify3D license in the past, you will not need to buy a full license again, there will only be a small upgrade fee required. We will be providing more information about features and upgrade pricing later in the year as the release gets closer.

We also have more updates planned for Version 4 which we are working on at the same time. You can continue receiving updates to Version 4, and can keep using that version, even if you do not wish to upgrade to Version 5.

I was not aware of any advertising in the past that promised free lifetime upgrades. However, if you still have specific questions about your order or terms, please feel free to email our team directly using the link below:
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/
Can't say fairer than this I think Jake, this post is better worded than the email release as it states if you already have S3D then you can update for a reduced fee, how reduced we don't yet know but hopefully it will not be too much :-).
I've tinkered with Cura and Slic3r etc, but always find my way back to S3D.
Looking forward to some positive news in the future with additions to functionallity etc :-)
S3D-Chris

bananacat89 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am I just bought my s3d this fall . If I have to pay for this upgrade , I am going to be pretty upset. As a new 3dprinter hobbyist and student I barely could scrape up the initial cash for it. Was like close to 200 Canadian. For that price i would expect free updates for awhile.. I don't think my version has even seen one update yet.

Sadly I can't really afford much with school and all. I will migrate to a different free software. I like this one but its not worth the price unless its free upgrades. For a grace period at least. To many good alternatives now. Not to mention I will feel extremely ripped off and scammed to say the least...
We actually already provide 1 year of free software updates along with your license purchase. This means that if you purchased the software now, you would still be able to upgrade to any version released within the next 12 months for free.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/#faq-5690
ghostwheel2000

As many have said its a shame its not free BUT wait and see how much it is to Upgrade before you start complaining. S3D cost a little more than a game with season pass and I bet the upgrade cost will be reasonable.

When you look at most software free updates are only provided with point releases.

S3D is also nowhere near as expensive as CAD software. I used to have a personal 3D Studio max license. The initial cost was £3500 with an ongoing maintenance subscription of £175 annually. This crept up to £245 and on until it got to £395 per annum. If you let it slip more than 2 years you would have to buy a full licence again. THAT WAS A RIPPOFF. So they got rid of that and have a subscription model of about £1200 pa/per user.

If time has been spent improving version 5 and the upgrades are worth it go to the new version and pay the upgrade . Or stay on an older version but don't whine about it until you know what you are complaining about. After all it is COMERCIAL software they have salaries, rent and taxes to pay.

If they can't make a living they will just quit. If S3D was not around Cura and the other Slicers may not of come on as well or as quickly as they have.
arhi

S3D-Chris wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm We actually already provide 1 year of free software updates along with your license purchase. This means that if you purchased the software now, you would still be able to upgrade to any version released within the next 12 months for free.
what is actually more important for most of us is the refund policy. will there still be XX days refund available to go back to 4.x if we find that 5.0 is not worth it (e.g. you do not add the plugin support, proper profile handling, dynamic layer height, mesh modifiers, gyroid infill, 3d mouse support... and all the other features we already get for free in other tools)
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
bobthecooldad

Hi, my annoyance with the update is i purchased a licence in summer (7th august 2018). If they drag out the update too long eg after august i will have to pay for the update... Is it going to be where the update is going to be held until the maximum amount of customers are going to have to pay and will there be an tollerance for the "1 year" update time.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”