alexmit

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

S3D-Chris wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 am
nodle wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 pm
Can we get a comment from the developers in this thread? It's like everyone is gone and no longer even responding. You would think they would want to comment in here and give people hope/an explanation on what is going on behind the scenes.
We will be releasing another Development Update this month and we can confirm that V5 development is still on track for release this year!
Will the development update talk about what the new feature set might include? It would be nice to know some sort of roadmap although I know you don't want to tee up a whole list of features, then possibly miss a couple that people will complain about if it doesn't make the initial release date.

grue19

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:56 am

damn i just bought it 4 days ago!

edit from another post: actually your purchase comes with 12 months of free upgrades. YES!

S3D-Chris

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:57 am

We recently posted a development update for Version 5.0 and answered some of the most common questions we have received since the initial announcement. Stay tuned for more development updates as the release gets closer!

robertwallace

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:33 am

StealthPrint wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 pm
Prusa 2.0 released today. I think that's the killshot. Cleaned up the UI, added many SIGNIFICANT features. Constant community engagement. I'm going to download it and start getting familiar. They even provide a definitive "here is what we're working on for the next update." They've released two meaningful updates already this year. I can't even imagine how many light-years ahead S3D would be ahead if the continued development on a consistent schedule from when they were released.
As much as I agree with the requests for meaningful development updates and as much as I like S3D's superior UI, any new features announced by S3D will almost always be behind the Prusa slicer curve: Prusa slicer development is subsidized by hardware sales, so they can afford to spend resources on free-slicer development. The open source community is working on improvements, too. In addition, Prusa's work on their slicer also supports their hardware, so it's win-win.

S3D's sole source of income, as far as I can tell, is from slicer sales - in an arena dominated by free slicers. I'm surprised they've lasted this long. They were on top with their features and I'm pleased that I bought S3D several years ago, but that was the past.

I'll reconsider buying an upgrade to 5.0 (it's a "No." for now) if S3D can eventually give me a compelling reason why I should do so, considering the continually improving slicers available for free. Or they can make the upgrade inexpensive enough that it's a no-brainer to upgrade. They'd also better think about announcing features and pricing soon, before their customer base moves on.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”