StealthPrint

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:57 pm

PicoTreed wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am
S3D-Chris wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:57 am
We recently posted a development update for Version 5.0 and answered some of the most common questions we have received since the initial announcement. Stay tuned for more development updates as the release gets closer!
Thank you, but... there is nothing truly new in your update.
Quoted. For. Truth.

I think the "update" was an attempt to buy time for S3D to come up with something innovative/game changing. Who knows? Maybe they actually have something revolutionary but are having some issues getting it to work in software. But the update really felt like a SLAP IN THE FACE more than it did an update. At this point its almost feeling like they're riding out people's "1 year free update" periods for a final cash grab around the holidays.

With more and more development/engineering/research institutions (Universities) are picking up Slic3r for its open source. These educational institutions have DEEP pockets and are not really concerned with return....they also have very brilliant minds behind projects that are hungry to make a name for themselves.

Check out the "non-planar 3d-printing" function German researchers have in beta for........... Slic3r
Truly next-level.

Wallabear

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm

StealthPrint, I can not agree more!!! that is exactly what it feels like to me, stretching it as long as they can. I know when they announced 5.0 and said that it would be released in 2019 I bought a seat of S3D. I had been using a friends computer to try out S3D and finally decided to get my own copy and I figured it was a good time because with the 12 month upgrade window I would not have to pay to upgrade to 5.0 Now it seems like they are eating up the window of everyone who may have had the same idea as myself and bought around that time just for a cash grab. Honestly I do not have a problem paying for upgrades, especially if the software is good, but when a company seems like they are pulling some underhanded stuff like it does here, I tend not to want to use them. I wish they would prove me wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that will not be the case. If they really did care you would think that with this many people on here talking about a different slicer they would be giving us something to keep us talking about S3D. I have looked through the forum this thread has the most replies of anything I have seen on here, so you know that S3D-Chris has got to be reading this, but they still remain silent.

arhi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am

Wallabear wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm
IF they release 5.0 I will look at it
with the "no preview / no trial" policy s3d goes with ... I'm pretty sure I will not look at it
Wallabear wrote:
but right now, I am really living in the PS2.0 camp
I'm slic3r user for years, moved to prusa fork some time back, then moved to that german fork with autolayerheight, then back to prusa and now to ps2 .. it always did bridging better than s3d, but what was the most important part for me were modifier meshes that are 10x easier to work with that s3d and are implemented better than s3d ... now they are hitting at the core of the s3d so I don't see the point of continuing with s3d .. but .. who knows .. we'll see
Wallabear wrote:
If you are going to charge for your software when there are really good free ones you have ....
well let's be honest here, there are ppl that use the version of s3d that was out when they purchased it, and they never even upgraded, they don't come to forum, they don't monitor what else is out there, they just use s3d as is and they are happy .. I know ppl I convinced to purchase s3d that are still on 3.0 .. didn't even bother to go to 3.1 for the bugfixes.. they just don't care "it works for them" .. so there's always going to be a market for s3d, no matter how much they charge and what features they do (not) have .. as there will always be ppl like that .. so "you have to.." part just don't work, they don't have to do nothing.. and we have to understand that they don't have to do nothing (took me a while to accept that) ..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

StealthPrint

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm

arhi wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am

well let's be honest here, there are ppl that use the version of s3d that was out when they purchased it, and they never even upgraded, they don't come to forum, they don't monitor what else is out there, they just use s3d as is and they are happy .. I know ppl I convinced to purchase s3d that are still on 3.0 .. didn't even bother to go to 3.1 for the bugfixes.. they just don't care "it works for them" .. so there's always going to be a market for s3d, no matter how much they charge and what features they do (not) have .. as there will always be ppl like that .. so "you have to.." part just don't work, they don't have to do nothing.. and we have to understand that they don't have to do nothing (took me a while to accept that) ..
That isn't a good analysis of the situation. The people that are still on the older version, that haven't bothered to update....aren't going to pay to upgrade. Most people with the "it works" mindset are just going to use a free Slic3r anyway.... because it "just works".... and its free.

The proper, in my opinion, analysis is that;

1. People that are fine with older versions because "it just works" have already showed they don't have an interest in ANY updates, let alone paid ones.

2. Current enthusiasts who *would* consider paying to upgrade aren't going to be willing to pay to upgrade unless S3D really pulls some tricks out of the bag.

3. Pushing out existing users with a lack of ACTUAL information; we have no development timeline, we know 0 new features, 0 new improvements to existing software/features, no release date, lack of community involvement, etc. Version 5 is quite literally nothing but an empty promise at this point.

4. IF people are going to marry themselves to a paid upgrade schedule, they're going to want a development schedule.

5. Existing customers are going from recommending S3D to others without hesitation to, "Ehh, you should probably just get a free slicer." This should be terrifying for S3D as a brand relying solely on slicer software sales.

6. New users aren't going to pay for premium software, that for the the most part, has no novel/premium features, especially if it will require future paid upgrades.

This thread has been MONTHS of people citing a lack of information. Paying, loyal customers, people most likely willing to pay for the update, pleading for anything from a *potential* release date to ANY feature information. S3D continues to disregard their loyal customer base, which in turn will almost certainly impact their sales.....HARD. I'm honestly baffled that S3D has, up until now, and continues to let these worries go unanswered. Most definitely should have put some more thought into the "V5 Update!" We thought we were getting information, we got none. They're presenting a sentiment that everything is just peachy but really THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE.

This all leads back to S3D sales declining. As we know, there is always someone out there who is willing to buy something for the sole sake of buying it. But that is very niche, not exactly a sustainable "market".

Maybe its blind loyalty, or the favorable experience I have had using S3D's software, but damn, you guys are really making it hard to want to stick around. If you need PR help, suggestions, anything, let me know. I really would like to see S3D return to its former glory. 3D-Printing is finally surging and becoming heavily used. It has passed the novelty hype from ~5 years ago. Now is the time to get this car back in gear. The future is bright, and the time to be at the top is now.

arhi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm

StealthPrint wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm
I'm honestly baffled that S3D has, up until now, and continues to let these worries go unanswered.
I thought about this 'cause it makes zero sense to me... found out some less known info about s3d... still stuff didn't make sense to me .. so I concluded that "as is" they are either selling ton of licenses or they are not selling any... if "selling ton" is true then, well, what works don't change it... if they are not selling any, they probbly gave up on the product long time ago and don't want to put more effort reviving dead animal .. I could not find a third option that made sense to me.. but who knows, logic can be very personal sometimes :) ... I doubt we'll ever know... what I do have issue with is the "need to have active server on-line to use existing version of s3d" but..

I was telling many ppl to go with s3d, to calculate it as a part of the cost of the "supported printer" as if you purchase a "plug & play" printer that's directly supported by s3d (have predefined profiles that give decent print quality) and you purchase s3d you will not bug me in the middle of the night "why this don't work" ... so less work for me .. I purchased s3d so I just know what they talk about when they do call.. and for short while actually did use it .. but ...
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

grue19

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm

i'm only 2 years into 3d printing as a hobby and occasional work related prints, and for these 2 years i've mostly used the one everyone else uses by a printer maker. i finally made the switch to s3d for curiosity, for chasing the "perfect print" i figured i had 30 days to return it so what's the worst that could happen.

i decided to keep it after 1 week of messing around with it for 2 reasons:

1) too damn many settings in the other program
2) i quickly realized that settings and features in s3d that are available actually made a difference i could _see_ in my prints

on point 1, i know 3 businesses in my community that also use s3d like other posters have said "because it works". and me, yes it just works and i don't have to worry about every other minute thing.

on point 2, don't ask me why, but i could start seeing temperature differences in my prints, i could see retraction and coasting and wiping differences in my prints. maybe part of this is that although these settings may be in other programs there were so many other settings that i got them all screwed up and couldn't get good prints anymore. this leads me to thinking s3d put together a package that allows control over what is most effective in a given printing situation. tuning my prints has never been easier.

finally i am printing with supports now more than i ever thought and i'm not stressed out about it. and the slicing of s3d is great, i've had models that 2 or 3 other free slicers had crazy internal looking birds nests and s3d just looks right and it prints right.

my guess is they made add a few features that seem like heavy hitters, automatic variable layer height would be nice for example.

now here's the thing - i say all of the above, but i am glad i spent 2 years with other software that made me learn what settings do and thus how the 3d printing and slicing process works. so ultimately i feel like s3d is a "relief" of the dread of free slicers.

Overheal

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

I mean based on S3D's communication on this I'd expect that even if S3D 5.0's roll-out extended out to some time in 2020, that anyone who activated an S3D product in 2019 should be made eligible for the free upgrade (if not everyone who purchased S3D after the announcement of 5.0). Anything less would be, frankly, miserly.

irix

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 am

Anyone who's actually a professional and or not a amateur hobbyist will pay the small fee. The software is very good. I cant count how much *TIME* this application has saved me and others I know whom use it. We tried many other "free" slicers and spent a lot of time going in circles/wasting time and material.

I guess I'll spell it out more directly. For those of us who are not printing out toys from thingiverse and actually using the printers to make money... I'm not sure how much you guys charge/value your time. Speaking for myself if it's a total of 2-3 hours saved it's paid for itself... even if I had to fully repurchase it. Amazing how people don't value their time and expect everything for free/immediate gratification these days. Sometimes I miss the days before the internet... it's ruined some people.

Hivoltage

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:05 am

I have been a user for a couple of years now. I am unemployed and on a budget. I just shelled out $175 for V-carve so my milling experience is that much better. I am not going to complain about any fees. Why? Because For 2 or more years I didn't have to pay each month just to use the software. I hope S3D continues its support and value. When Version 5 does come out I will shell out whatever the fee is. Even if its close to its original cost. I do welcome any improvements to software I like to use. :)

Overheal

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 am

irix wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 am
Anyone who's actually a professional and or not a amateur hobbyist will pay the small fee. The software is very good. I cant count how much *TIME* this application has saved me and others I know whom use it. We tried many other "free" slicers and spent a lot of time going in circles/wasting time and material.

I guess I'll spell it out more directly. For those of us who are not printing out toys from thingiverse and actually using the printers to make money... I'm not sure how much you guys charge/value your time. Speaking for myself if it's a total of 2-3 hours saved it's paid for itself... even if I had to fully repurchase it. Amazing how people don't value their time and expect everything for free/immediate gratification these days. Sometimes I miss the days before the internet... it's ruined some people.
No disrespect: but, what you've basically said is sure in your case where 3DP is a wealth-generator for you and not a hobby, you can happily absorb the cost of the upgrade, what that ignores is that s3D seems to have indicated that their customers would not need to pay for that (if they bought s3D in 2019). So yeah, you can afford to basically get misled by s3d, but not everyone else is in that boat.

I for one am holding off on an additional seat until 5.0 is released or we see a preview of what's coming up. I'm in the market for that other seat anyway mind you; but if I can hold off and save a little dosh sure I will.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”