S3D-Chris

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm

mroek wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 am
The lack of updates on the update is a bit concerning. June is now a long time ago, and we're even nearing the end of the year, so version 5 should hopefully be close to ready now.

Could the community please have some info on what is going on, and what to expect?
Our team continues to make significant progress and we are still on track to release V5 later this year. We will be posting more development updates that will include additional information on pricing and new features as we get closer to the release date.

arhi

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:54 am

S3D-Chris wrote:
Our team continues to make significant progress and we are still on track to release V5 later this year. We will be posting more development updates that will include additional information on pricing and new features as we get closer to the release date.
I'm sure, if not earlier, by now you became aware that this type of "posts" are counter-productive?!
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Exerqtor

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:58 am

S3D-Chris wrote:
mroek wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 am
The lack of updates on the update is a bit concerning. June is now a long time ago, and we're even nearing the end of the year, so version 5 should hopefully be close to ready now.

Could the community please have some info on what is going on, and what to expect?
Hey Chirs,

I'm aware this might not be the right place to ask for this, but can you PLEASE give us some small snippets on weither a couple totally trivial things that's downright missing in 4.1.2 will come in 5.0 ?

1: Enabling / implementation of firmware retraction setting.
2: "One click" ironing of some sort.
3: A better and "hollow" purge tower that wastes less filament, for layers not including tool changes (like what Filaswitch generates).
4: Filament specific g.code.
5: And last but not least, a COMPLETE and updated list of placeholders, and where they can be used (and a little description on what they do). So that we can make better use of the functionalities that's actually exisiting already. Simply removing un-needed guesswork!

It's almost 1 full year since 5.0 was teased, and we haven't gotten ANY tangible info yet, only what i can best describe as propaganda.

Don't think it's to much to ask for at this point. More and more users are looking into other slicers due to the share lack of community and customer info given.

Wallabear

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:00 pm

@S3D-Chris Not to sound like a smart ass but how much closer to the release date are we talking? Are you going to post the updates to features and pricing like 24 hours before you push it out? We are rolling down to the end of the year like 2.5 months. Most companies have released a list of expected launch features with a expected time frame by now, maybe a quick video. I think I can safely say that I speak for a large portion of people when I say that we really would like to know a what we can expect from Simplify and how much you are expecting us to pay for it, which being that we have already paid for the software, is not unreasonable. I fully understand that there can be issues with software development so you do not want to promise too much in the off chance that you can not follow through, but come one you guys have to have something that you can tease. You promised regular updates in one of your earlier posts in this thread we got 1 update in June that really was not an update at all, merely a conformation that S3D is in fact still working on V5.

SnowDrifter

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 pm

I mean the purchase conditions stated free software upgrades for 1 year. I'm not losing sleep over it

Wallabear

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am

I am not really sweating it either, except I purchased my seat of S3D right after they made the announcement of V5 and said it was going to be released in 2019. But if they do miss their 2019 "date" then I will have to pay to upgrade unless they extend the upgrade period for those who purchased their seat of S3D in 2019.

PicoTreed

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:24 am

Dear S3D team,
I trust in you, don't mess with us and please release V5 before december 2019!

Sincerely yours,
Luke.
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.

sstephan

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 am

Somthing fishy is going on with s3d.
I no longer care for v5, they dont fix simple bugs in v4 for almost a year. This is not how a paid software dev team should act.
No betas, no bug fixes and no improvements for a year.

Wallabear

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Something fishy indeed! Like I stated before most of the time new software is touted long before it's release, new features are teased, hype is built. A release date is announced. All we have gotten form S3D is crickets! We were promised (by S3D-Chris) regular updates on the progress with features, and we got a joke of an update in June basically saying "yes we are still working on V5". So they already have not kept their word on that!
S3D-Chris wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am

We will be teasing new features for both V4 and V5 updates as well as providing more info on upgrade pricing as the releases gets closer! We will also continue to post development updates to share our progress with the community.

If there are specific features you want to see added in the upcoming releases, please let us know!

They also promised that they would be working on updates for V4 at the same time and development would not stop on that side. Yet we have to heard anything about updates for V4 either. Sure there will be people who keep using S3D, I can not blame them it is an extremely strong slicer, but some of the free slicers have made tremendous advancements and in IMO are just as capable if not better than S3D. I do not understand why they have been so locked lipped with the new software. We have 2 months left in 2019 they should be running a "pre-purchase" deal or something by now if they are planning a December release. They should have some videos up and screen shots, but there is nothing. . . My thought is that this is not how you treat the people who are keeping your doors open! The last thing you want to do is alienate the people who you want to buy your software upgrade, especially when there are free slicers that do a fantastic job. As an example of how it is done right, look to Duet3d and there launch of the Duet3 board. They have kept their community up to date with the progress and setbacks, release date, software and hardware updates and beta testing progress.
If you can not meet your announced "date" tell us, most of us can handle the news and some setbacks are expected in product development. I think we would rather her something then nothing. Heck you can even say "We will be making an announcement XX/XX/XXXX....stay tuned" and I am sure that we could figure out what that announcement will be about, but that gives us something to work with and look forward to. As of right now you have a lot of customers who are getting more and more upset because they are getting nothing!

Jarhead

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:47 am

You don't understand why they're so quiet? Really??

It's because they are no where near what Prusa offers so now they are trying to scramble and catch up.
They had their version ready to release, but with all the requests in this thread, that were not implemented, and then with the features that other slicers are already offering, that were not implemented in the new version, they went back to square one and are trying to put together something way better than they originally had.
Which is gonna lead to a really poor quality release, when it finally does come out.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”