dan62103

Different results on the same machine

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Hello,

I am an amateur at 3D printing. I know a decent amount and have dozens of successful prints, but have a lot more to learn. I have a Flashforge Creator Pro at work and at home. They are the same model, but slightly different generations. I have successfully calibrated them well and get a successful print nearly every time except for one issue.

My work machine leaves the outer layers with a lot of patterns of gapes or holes instead of a smooth surface. I use simplify 3D for both and have gone through the setup wizard and use the same process settings on both. My machine at home makes a nice smooth outer surface with the same exact design and settings whereas the work one leaves it looking too thin with the holes on outer layers, generally on the top. I've gone through the troubleshooting guides on this site and tried the tips, but am not seeing any change. I reached out to Flashforge and they said it would definitely be my slicer settings and not a hardware issue, but I can't figure this out. No matter what infill I use, top and bottom solid layers, shells, etc... I get the same result. I put two side by side pictures and you can see the one with the smooth surfaces is my home machine and the one with the gaps is from work, but both sliced with Simplify with identical settings. Any ideas?
IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0763.jpg

horst.w

Re: Different results on the same machine

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

It seems to be a underextrusion why ever!
With same machines you have definitively diffent filaments, even if it comes from the same source, different distances to the print beds, different temperaturs for the heatblocs or for the cooling. Under extrusion also can be caused by a partiell bloced nozzel

Two identical machines are never the same!

horst.w
GER

swmand4

Re: Different results on the same machine

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I also have a FFCP. Could be the PTFE liner tube into the nozzle. Your print looks like mine did the time that tube got a little crispy and needed replacing. It results in under extrusion since the tube has constricted and is causing extra friction on the filament. This is most noticeable as gaps in the top layers.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”