jfjohnny5

Custom Raft Placement?

Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Is there anyway to specify where I want a raft and where I don't? Like I can do with supports?

I have a piece that I really want to have that smooth finish you get from printing on the heated bed. But there's one small part of it that is narrow and tall and connects to the piece higher up. It ends up falling down and/or getting blown over before it gets that high though. I would like to be able to to just print a raft under that one section to help anchor it. Any way to do that?

Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Custom Raft Placement?

Fri May 03, 2013 5:33 am

Your best bet would be to make them 2 separate parts and then use Creator's ability to define different settings for different models on the same build plate. The raft and skirt are both implemented for the entire part outlines, so you can't choose selectively. But you're still going to have a challenge because if one side of this part has a raft, it will be raised up 0.5mm from the rest of the part. If the other side is printed directly on the table, it won't be raised up at all. So you might have to modify the raft part of the file to have a 0.5mm slice removed as well.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”