RobH2

Can you control extrusion in small areas and overhangs?

I'm new to S3D and do like it. I've been using Cura, Slic3r and KissSlicer. KissSlicer by far gives me the cleanest prints I've ever made. I'm hoping that once I get used to S3D it will take the top spot.

My first test with S3d exhibits an issue on small areas and tiny overhangs. There is way too much extrusion. Is there a way to limit the extrusion to say 50% in areas that have a length threshold? For example, in the attached photos, yellow areas point to areas that are tiny circles. If I could limit the extrusion of filament on those I think the print would look better. If I could say, reduce extrusion to 50% for paths that are less than 5mm. It already looks better on the right-hand print that was done in Cura (Orange arrows). I have over extrusion in the areas with pink arrows too but overall, the Cura print looks better.
S2-N1_Compare.jpg
Makerfarm Prusa i3 8". JHead .5mm / Magma Head .4mm / Wade's Extruder
jimc

Re: Can you control extrusion in small areas and overhangs?

Hi rob and welcome! Good to see your trying s3d. You will eventually get good clean prints with s3d, its just a matter of tuning. In most cases going from one slicer to s3d and using the same settings doesnt really work because the moves and extrusion will be calculated different. From the pictures it doesnt appear to be overextrusion but rather an unsupported area. Im not sure if the bridging settings will kick in there or not. Prob not because it looks small. One thing that helps when you have unsupported areas is set s3d to print your inner perimeter first. You also are comparing black filament to natural which is almost certain to print a little different. With the black stuff try dropping the temp 5-10 deg and see if that helps as well.
RobH2

Re: Can you control extrusion in small areas and overhangs?

Hi Jim, glad to see you here also. Yea, S3D looks really good. I'll play with the parameters you mention. I'm already getting better results and am seeing that the calculations are not directly correlated to other slicers. Thanks for weighing it, as always...
Makerfarm Prusa i3 8". JHead .5mm / Magma Head .4mm / Wade's Extruder

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”