RobH2

With Profiles can you change print on single layer

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I saw a beautifully printed box recently that used S3D. The bottom of the box was just a couple of layers thick and it was printed in a diamond pattern. I can see how to change layers that are above and between each other but can't see how you could modify the patter on a single layer. Attached is a drawing I did to show the pattern. Is this possible?
FirstLayerDesign.jpg
Makerfarm Prusa i3 8". JHead .5mm / Magma Head .4mm / Wade's Extruder

KeyboardWarrior

Re: With Profiles can you change print on single layer

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

That looks like concentric infill. This will be applied to your top solid and bottom solid layers.

BaronWilliams

Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:10 am

Yes, that would be concentric infill used for an external infill (top or bottom areas of a print).

That option is in the INFILL section under EXTERNAL FILL PATTERN. If you select CONCENTRIC you get the pattern you saw if printing a rectangle.

The pattern you see depends on the outline of the external layer. With a circle outline, the pattern would be a bunch of circles inside each other. With a square, a bunch of squares, etc. It can create some very interesting patterns for more complex shapes.

Be warned that the CONCENTRIC pattern system sometimes leaves a few holes in the print. It can't always fill things all the way because of how the pattern is laid out. So always inspect the G-code appearance before printing to be sure you don't see holes. If you see holes, you can try playing around with EXTRUSION WIDTH a little to get things to fill all the way, which is sometimes possible, but not always, depending on the layer's shape.

AndersE

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Haha nice. I have never used concentric infill because i always thought it just made another infill type, i did not know it was also applied to bottom and top layer.

So if we get a honeycomb infill (or wishfully userdesigned) , would that also be reflected on the bottom and top layers?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”