bmwman91

Dual Extrusion Ooze Shield - How To Prime On All Layers?

Hello,
I have a Flashforge Creator Pro and have been enjoying learning to use S3D with it. My latest project has been to do test plaques to try to dial in the best font configuration for dualstruding embedded text. I use the Ooze Shield feature, which has clear benefits. However, I am having an issue that is hopefully easily resolved.

The text is embedded only in the top 1mm of the 5mm thick part. The Ooze shield only has the second extruder working for that top 1mm, as you can see in the attached image. How can I get the Ooze Shield to have the second extruder (blue profiles) working for the full thickness? Basically, the PLA filament seems to jam if it sits idle in the hot end for the first 4mm of part thickness. I think that if it was doing at least that ooze shield perimeter shell between every layer, it would be less prone to this.
s3d_dualtextoozeshield.jpg
I have tried making multiple separate profiles and setting the Ooze Shield to use individual extruders instead of "All Extruders", but this leads to only a single shell being printed by the "green" extruder. I can't seem to figure it out, so any help is appreciated.

For reference, Flashprint does the ooze shield ("wall" as it is called in there) the way that I describe, and I get no jams on these test plaques.

Thanks!
FFCP v2016 + MicroSwiss All Metal Hot Ends
Never enough free time...
Ayres3D

Re: Dual Extrusion Ooze Shield - How To Prime On All Layers?

An alternative (and arguably better) approach would be to stick with the multiple processes and switch off the redundant extruder when it's not being used. You need to allow some warm-up time, but that should be easy to allow for. That way you should get no ooze and also save some power.
bmwman91

Thanks, that makes sense. I will play around and see how I can achieve that, with proper timing to allow the second extruder to heat up.
FFCP v2016 + MicroSwiss All Metal Hot Ends
Never enough free time...
cbarry

I just posted some code to do that in a post waiting moderation. search for my user (it was my first post)
but, TL;DR

Code: Select all

M109 S<temp> T<toolnum>
is your friend :)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”