Karl_Williams

Has anyone tried 2.1.2?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:17 pm

I notice that 2.1.2 is available. Has anyone tried it yet?

BaronWilliams

Re: Has anyone tried 2.1.2?

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:17 am

My Simplify3D software is version 2.1.1.

If I click "Check for updates", it says "No Updates Available. Your software is up to date".

How do you get version 2.1.2? The software I have says it's the latest version and doesn't try to update itself.

I can see that the Simplify3D web site shows 2.1.2 is available. But how can I get it? Is there a link for it? My software doesn't know the update is there.

EDIT: Nevermind. I visited http://www.simplify3d.com/downloads/

I now have the new version.

Here's the change log:

Version 2.1.2
  1. Added support for OS X 10.10 Yosemite
  2. Improved Mac and Linux 250000 bps baud rate support
  3. When using the Import button, the user can now select multiple files to load at once
  4. Brim has been improved so that it remains attached to the part, even with support material enabled
  5. Added support for up to 6 different extruders
  6. Bed Leveling Wizard now supports a wider range of custom XY coordinates
  7. Added pre-configured profiles for the Leapfrog Creatr XL, ZYYX 3D Printer, Multec Multirap M200, and German RepRap NEO/PRotos/X400
  8. Added the ability to remove multiple profiles at once
  9. Filament cost calculations are now compatible with a wider range of currencies
  10. Quality auto-configure XML tags can now be nested inside of material auto-configure tags to allow more detailed settings combinations
Last edited by BaronWilliams on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuebelkiller

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 am

Hello

You can download it via the link provided in the license e-mail.

Best regards

Chris

BaronWilliams

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:49 am

This new feature looks quite useful for me:
  • Quality auto-configure XML tags can now be nested inside of material auto-configure tags to allow more detailed settings combinations
I will have to play around with that. It makes a lot more sense that way. Quality settings often relate to the material being used. For example, TPE needs to print more slowly than ABS, so now I can have my quality settings be specific to TPE, specific to ABS, etc. This will let me make much better custom profiles for my FlashForge Dreamer.

:D

AndersE

Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:18 am

I usually check for updates at least once a week, and last i checked was this tuesday, so it must have come yesterday.

It was not much of updates :( I really hoped for new infillpatterns.

And i am lost again, where did we find the settings for filament cost?

EDIT: dooh... filament cost where it was before ; I found it.
Last edited by AndersE on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Festus440

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:33 am

And it appears the "Allow zeroing of extrusion distances" bug still hasn't been fixed.

dennisjm

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 am

Perhaps I'm not using the auto configure properties right... or maybe you just have to edit the profile xml instead of use the GUI.. but for me, when I change the settings for fast/medium/slow, they don't stick, instead it just switches back to what it was as I toggle back and forth between the settings. Sort of annoying... or maybe I just don't understand the intent.

It does appear at least when you export the profile on MAC OS that the material/auto configure stuff didn't disappear, so I think they at least squashed that bug.

But yeah, I checked the xml and I see different layer settings, temperature settings etc for the different materials and qualities but nothing changes in the GUI when I select them... or well, sometimes it does and most of the time it doesn't. in other words, sort of a big let down... At least on OS X.
Example: go to temperature tab, xml has different hot bed temperatures for different materials. Switch between PLA, ABS, Nylon etc, watch hotbed temperature not changing when you select the different materials.

Also, assuming they fix it and that auto configure starts working, it would be nice if you could put different costs with the different materials.. I tried changing that but it always stayed the same so I don't know if it's the same as the other bug where selecting the auto configure doesn't change things or if material just isn't one of the choices for auto configure.

AndersE

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Autoconfigure for material work halfway for me now. Atleast the quickselect buttons are there now even if i save as same name.
But settings still bugs out and does not change correctly.

BaronWilliams

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 pm

I have both 2.1.2 on Windows and on the Mac. I don't see any problems with the auto-configure for material or quality on either platform IF I DON'T CHANGE VALUES AND EXPORT THEM. Otherwise they are working as I expect them to work. They are better than before, now that autoConfigureQuality tags can be nested within the autoConfigureMaterial XML tags.

They will overwrite changes. This is their expected behavior I believe.

For example, if I'm on ABS/Medium with infill at 20%, and then I manually change the infill to 50%, and then I switch from ABS/Medium to ABS/High, then the infill goes to 30%. If I go back to ABS/Medium, the infill goes back to 20%. My manual 50% infill setting is lost. That's the expected behavior. These are auto-configure settings which simply pull in a preset array of values. If I want my 50% to stick, then I need to edit that manually from the XML. If I set it to 50% and then I export the profile, it seems to get messed up.

As long as I edit the profile changes with a text editor, and then import them, they are working fine from the GUI.

I never export a profile I've made changes to. I export a clean profile and then make the changes manually from a text editor and then import it back. Simplify3D still has numerous profile export bugs that make exporting very problematic if settings are changed before you export.

BaronWilliams

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Note that both Simplify3D 2.1.1 for Windows and the Mac did not detect that an update was available. I had to manually search for the update from the website.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”