laird

Re: Has anyone tried 2.1.2?

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 am

BaronWilliams wrote:Note that both Simplify3D 2.1.1 for Windows and the Mac did not detect that an update was available. I had to manually search for the update from the website.
At least it's consistent. Last time I shipped desktop software (140 million users!) the FIRST feature we made sure worked was software updating, because with that working we can fix any other issue by pushing out a bug fix. Not sure why they even have the functionality in the GUI, since it's never worked.

laird

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 pm

BaronWilliams wrote:Note that both Simplify3D 2.1.1 for Windows and the Mac did not detect that an update was available. I had to manually search for the update from the website.
The single most important feature than any software needs to have is the ability to update itself, because that lets you most rapidly deploy everything you ever do to the widest number of users. It's astounding to me that Simplify3D has a software update feature that hasn't worked ever. It's embarrassing, and worse than that it lies to users, making them think that there's no update available when there is. They should either remove it or make it work.

JoeJ

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:07 am

It works for me. Just alerted me about 2.1.2 a few days ago when I finally opened it up. Are you sure you're connected to the internet?

jimc

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:18 am

Joe i fnally go an alert a few days ago as well. Of course the update has been out for a month now. This is the first time i haven't updated things right away. The check for updates feature has never worked. The day an update is released you should be able to use the feature and have it tell you there is something available which it does not do. I have to agree that this needs to be fixed so it works on time and correctly.

TenKOhms

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 am

jimc wrote:Joe i fnally go an alert a few days ago as well. Of course the update has been out for a month now. This is the first time i haven't updated things right away. The check for updates feature has never worked. The day an update is released you should be able to use the feature and have it tell you there is something available which it does not do. I have to agree that this needs to be fixed so it works on time and correctly.
I agree it can be annoying to not be notified immediately when an update is released, but it could be possible the guys at s3d are doing it methodically, sort of a "staggered release". I may be wrong though.

also just an FYI,

i opened an old version of s3d and I also got the update message.

laird

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Interesting. When I pushed update notifications out to 140m users, we used staggered notification so they didn't all hit the server at once (and to give us a chance to catch bugs in the field before affecting everyone), but the releases were spread over days, not months. And if anyone hit the button to check for an update, we always gave them the current info.

So it sounds like they release the update, but then don't notify users for months, which is odd. Perhaps it's a manual process that they should automate?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”