shamu3838

Top layer of part not smooth and looks like infill

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 am

Can someone tell me the setting to make the top of my part smooth as designed? It looks like infill and has voids. I have a makergear M2 and it was my first print. All is configured correctly with the proper hot end configured.

jimc

Re: Top layer of part not smooth and looks like infill

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:02 pm

some pictures would be nice and maybe post your fff file so we can see your settings.

bday988

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:24 pm

I am having a similar problem. Its been a problem since the first print about 2 weeks ago. I have tried messing with extrusion multiplier values .96 to 1.15 and it still has gaps in the top layer as well as being fairly rough to the touch. If there was a way to slow down only the top layer and increase extrusion rate, it seems to me that might fix it. I would really like to have the option to add setpoints with different extrusion rates on a per layer basis just as you can do it the cooling tab. That would be so awesomely useful. Here is a picture to show what I am experiencing. The two grey parts were made with slightly different speed and extrusion multiplier settings. You can see the left one looks better. The green part is a really good example of just how sparse the top layer is printing. You can almost see 3 layers down. This one was printed at 100mm/sec and with a multiplier of 1.0 if i remember correctly. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
sparse_top_layer.jpg

Milestone85

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:48 pm

if it has a broken top layer which has small gaps and things, it might not be extruding enough filament. Measure the diameter of filament and put into software under OTHER Tab, Filament Diameter = 1.750 mm.... Measure to make sure its 1.75 (or could be 3mm), if your filament measures 1.71 mm insert that into settings.

Also you can increase wall layer thickness from 2 layers to 3 or 4... I generally use 3-4 layers just to cover up any imperfections, sometimes if I dont measure the filament diameter proper or the right temps I can have a print that may have small holes or gaps in the top or side layers.

I would also like to see pics, it could be a number of other problems as well.

BaronWilliams

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:08 am

Check your STL model for non-manifold errors. They can cause this.

dennisjm

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Print more top layers and/or print slower on those layers.
Or increase infill % so that there is more plastic to print on.

ReneeCelDesigns

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi,

I think I may know what your problem is. You seem to be printing rather fast I normally print at 50 to 60mm/s, something you need to consider when printing at high speed is the extruder will need to be hotter to heat the filament more quickly due to the high speed. So I would suggest putting your extruder temperature up by 15 to 20C. So for PLA around the 230C. As I print at a slower speed I print PLA at 195C to 215C. let me know if this helps as it seems like you have don't everything else right.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”