cybrsage

Re: Version 5 Announcement

The biggest thing S3D still wins in is support placement. It is simple, easy, and intuitive (almost - remove all does not actually mean it removes all). Once the free software catches up in this crucial area, I can see S3D losing another large chunk of users.

For me, S3D is now the backup software - what I use if I need specific or tricky support placement and if I want to test an error to see if it is the model or the slicer at fault.
S3D-Jake

cybrsage wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:11 pm For me, S3D is now the backup software - what I use if I need specific or tricky support placement and if I want to test an error to see if it is the model or the slicer at fault.
I'm happy to hear you're still keeping Simplify3D installed and ready to be used when you need it! With the exciting features coming in V5, I hope you'll renew your interest in using Simplify3D as your primary slicing tool.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Jbc

Any hints on a feature list? Or when the list of features might be posted? Your supporters are looking for info.
Something.
News, challenges, successes.....maybe an appetizer before the meal.....at least a beer...something.

I can't imagine announcing a few things would jeopardize the success of V5 ....unless there's a merger and non-disclose agreements are in place.

Keep this in mind though.
If you mention a cool new feature or a new approach to something once/week, or twice a month you would build anticipation and market buzz.....right now it's market zzzzzzzzz......

Cmon-appetizer?
miglo

SO basically all they have done so far for "version 5" is to update their licensing backend. What a damn disappointment. Let me guess, you guys will be implementing microtransactions for v5. I've been supporting S3D since version 2 or something but for the past year have switched over to PrusaSlicer and Cura. Aside for support placement, these slicers are light years ahead of S3D, and its FREE.

I mean come on guys! $150 bucks for this? I think S3D is out of business.
RoboDLC

Since it has been 17 months since their last release, I am thinking that S3D is now vaporware. It doesn't currently integrate with Octoprint, or Duet except with clumsy curl scripts, lacks some basic features (much spoken about elsewhere) and really has some very old bugs never fixed (can you PLEASE organize profiles is some other way then FIFO?). However, the multi-process and scripting features work far better than anything CURA has, so I'm kinda staying with S3D when those are needed. Sadly, we have to use reverse-engineered scripting tricks because S3D has never documented their hooks. A manual would be nice. I am used to not getting a manual with OSS, but with licensed software, that is inexcusable.

I will continue to use it because the S3D support for multi-filament is far superior to CURA, and I don't have experience enough with some of the other cool slicers out there (that also don't integrate with Octoprint or Duet BTW). For much of what I do, the CURA branch supports work way better than even S3D's supports, so S3D support superiority is fading fast.

It is very disappointing. We keep waiting, and get no announcements other than the licensing changes. We have gotten a dozen or so CURA updates over the last year and a half, some actually decent, but nothing from S3D. This really is a shame because S3D is way faster than the other slicers that I have used. I have been using S3D since 2017, and it has really only improved a little in that time. Kind of a bummer, but, you never get all you wish for at Christmastime..

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
billyd

miglo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:25 am SO basically all they have done so far for "version 5" is to update their licensing backend. What a damn disappointment. Let me guess, you guys will be implementing microtransactions for v5. I've been supporting S3D since version 2 or something but for the past year have switched over to PrusaSlicer and Cura. Aside for support placement, these slicers are light years ahead of S3D, and its FREE.

If they do microtransactions V5 better be jaw dropping on every level or they will lose nearly every customer they have.
tonyno

Just as long as the whole thing is not "in the cloud"...

Also, they better extend the upgrade window because of the lateness.
PicoTreed

Microtransactions or cloud solutions would be absolute evil things.
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
troop231

Any update yet? The rumor on the 3D printing Discords is that S3D is most likely being acquired by Autodesk, hence the long delays and the recent web infrastructure upgrades they've been doing to be cloud based.
S3D-Jake

Jbc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:17 am Any hints on a feature list? Or when the list of features might be posted? Your supporters are looking for info.
Something.
News, challenges, successes.....maybe an appetizer before the meal.....at least a beer...something.

I can't imagine announcing a few things would jeopardize the success of V5 ....unless there's a merger and non-disclose agreements are in place.

Keep this in mind though.
If you mention a cool new feature or a new approach to something once/week, or twice a month you would build anticipation and market buzz.....right now it's market zzzzzzzzz......

Cmon-appetizer?
Thanks for your input! I'm happy to pass your suggestions along to our marketing team.
miglo wrote: SO basically all they have done so far for "version 5" is to update their licensing backend. What a damn disappointment. Let me guess, you guys will be implementing microtransactions for v5. I've been supporting S3D since version 2 or something but for the past year have switched over to PrusaSlicer and Cura. Aside for support placement, these slicers are light years ahead of S3D, and its FREE.

We're not out of business by any means. In addition to the licensing backend, we've completed multiple rounds of testing and continue to work towards finalizing a feature list and pricing details.
RoboDLC wrote: Since it has been 17 months since their last release, I am thinking that S3D is now vaporware. It doesn't currently integrate with Octoprint, or Duet except with clumsy curl scripts, lacks some basic features (much spoken about elsewhere) and really has some very old bugs never fixed (can you PLEASE organize profiles is some other way then FIFO?). However, the multi-process and scripting features work far better than anything CURA has, so I'm kinda staying with S3D when those are needed. Sadly, we have to use reverse-engineered scripting tricks because S3D has never documented their hooks. A manual would be nice. I am used to not getting a manual with OSS, but with licensed software, that is inexcusable.

I will continue to use it because the S3D support for multi-filament is far superior to CURA, and I don't have experience enough with some of the other cool slicers out there (that also don't integrate with Octoprint or Duet BTW). For much of what I do, the CURA branch supports work way better than even S3D's supports, so S3D support superiority is fading fast.

It is very disappointing. We keep waiting, and get no announcements other than the licensing changes. We have gotten a dozen or so CURA updates over the last year and a half, some actually decent, but nothing from S3D. This really is a shame because S3D is way faster than the other slicers that I have used. I have been using S3D since 2017, and it has really only improved a little in that time. Kind of a bummer, but, you never get all you wish for at Christmastime..
Thanks for voicing your opinions. I'm more than happy to add your feedback to the existing feature requests for Octoprint integration, profile list order changes, branch supports, and a formal manual.
billyd wrote: If they do microtransactions V5 better be jaw dropping on every level or they will lose nearly every customer they have.
I've not heard any talk of microtransactions. The specific amount of the upgrade fee has not been finalized. We'll give more information on that as if becomes available to our team.
tonyno wrote: Just as long as the whole thing is not "in the cloud"...

Also, they better extend the upgrade window because of the lateness.
Feature set and pricing have yet to be announced. We'll be providing more information as we are made aware of it.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”