Jarhead

Re: Version 5 Announcement

Guess you guys didn't notice the new "Your cart" link in the menu??
I would guess that's a sign that the new version is coming out soon.
cart.png
cart.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 21385 times
TN Yankee

The "Your cart" bit doesn't make sense to appear in the forum login. The "commercial" side of S3D has always been a separate login from the forum (and deservedly so, from a security standpoint).
Jarhead

TN Yankee wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:12 pm The "Your cart" bit doesn't make sense to appear in the forum login. The "commercial" side of S3D has always been a separate login from the forum (and deservedly so, from a security standpoint).
And yet there it is.
meanwhile

Major version release dates slide. Eh. What is more worrying is no 4.1.3, 4.1.4, 4.2, etc ...
Jbc

I'm waiting for the announcement that S3D is merging or was bought out by'XXX.'
It seems to me that news would flow fairly well up until V5.0 was news was approaching Dec. 2019.
The radio silence is odd...as if details are being hammered out about a team transition, merger or loss of coders.

I'm still using the slicer.
Until another can do the job I'm here....once another that is actively getting updates and raises the bar on abilities we're all gone anyway.
I do hope its S3D.
But until there's a better choice we're left here in the dark.

jbc
gwhite

I have a theory...

First, I got an email a few days ago with no info on Version 5 (other than to say they're working on it), but full of all sorts of stuff they've been doing to support 3D printing PPE for the COVID 19 crisis. They basically say that they back-burnered V5 to lend a hand with the pandemic.
It sounds like it came from a thriving organization that is more than just one of two guys chained to their keyboards.

Why they couldn't have mentioned any of this before is beyond me, but we've pretty much established that communications isn't their strong suit...

So here's the theory: In order to produce Ver 4, they clearly had a lot of expertise, and also a lot of experience working with a wide array of different machines. Given that it's hard to make money when your competition is free, one option is to sell your skills to high end printer companies to create custom software they can bundle with their machines. That means contracts & deadlines. Broken promises to their user base won't get them in legal hot water, so Ver 5 slips while they deal with the deadlines they have contracted to meet.

Throw in the COVID 19 3D printed PPE explosion, and we are left high & dry with no Version 5. Annoying, but I could accept it if they JUST SAID SOMETHING! Leaving your users twisting in the winds for over 6 months without ONE scrap of information is STILL inexcusable.
fythios

I mean even a simple, hey we are sorry it's late and we are working on in it, here is the new projected roadmap would be nice...
S3D-Chris

We can assure you that we are working hard to release V5 as soon as possible. We have many customers that are also anxious for the new features and we are excited to deliver on many of your feature requests. We will be sharing more details regarding timing and pricing as we get closer to the launch.

In case you missed it, we recently published an update about some of the COVID-19 efforts our team has been working on.
dkightley

Being the S3D user who has made by far the most number of posts on the forum ( more than all of the sum of the current official S3D Support users...at more than 2,200 posts), I would like to think that the S3D support and management team would possibly be more likely to take notice of any opinion I may have over a growing number of anonymous and increasingly hostile users.

As far as I can remember, I have not made any comments either way regarding the announcement and periodic update of an intended v5 of the software, but it has come to a point where I have to say something......

With the greatest of respect to everyone at Simplify3D, I would like to take them to task over the latest post by S3D-Chris, which has essentially repeated the same message that has been given for well over a year, and which provides nothing new whatsoever. Having been in software support and development for a period of over ten years in my career, I am fully aware of what takes place; from product design, development in its varying forms, testing, rework, etc, etc. Up until now, I have given S3D the benefit of the doubt and have not taken issue....but this latest repeat of the same message has lost all its credibility.

Rather than giving your existing customers the same old same old news, why can't you give some form of real progress report on v5?? Surely there are some key points that can be released to whet our appetites. An indication of how the new version will differ from the current software; what any new features will be, and some real indication of when the release will be. Anything better than what you have given so far.....which is virtually nothing!

The company's reputation must have been damaged by the complete wall of silence and repeats of the same thing...."We're working hard...and we're excited". Well your customers don't feel that way. I feel disillusioned....and am fearing that I may need to move away from a superb product, and try to learn how to use an inferior product.

Please cheer me up! 2020 has been so bad thus far....I need some good news.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
zemlin

I'm also in the product development/innovation field, so I know how easy it is for things to snowball. I agree completely with Doug. You cracked the door open long ago.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”