doug_scott

Re: Version 5 Announcement

I spent a couple of decades in a software development environment and if release dates were pushed back much more than a month there had better be a good reason. I can't imagine what kind of reason they have to delay a year. And delay with no mention of why or when to expect it was usually pretty tough on the managers income at the company. There has been no mention of a beta version, and any serious software company will have a limited beta test that some of the serious current customers will be offered to test. Maybe they are doing this already, but I really doubt it.

If I had to guess (and seeing as how that is all anyone can do) I would imagine they have one main developer who is their "superman". I seriously doubt management has any idea how to properly develop software. Given the silence regarding the year overdue new version, I would say they is no communication between management and employees beyond what "they need to know". Doubt they have a proper development schedule that is followed. They also must have a feature creep problem. Companies that are this slow at releasing software generally started off with a list of features that was supposed to be the new release. Every time management sees one of those new features live, they realize that there are 10 other smaller features that would really make that feature shine, so they tack it on. They will do it often enough that it eventually kills the original framework because it was not designed for all the extra weight. Management will bitch and moan about it, eventually giving in, and it starts over again. The trick to designing software is the planning stage. If you take the time, and work openly with everyone, the first plan will actually come to a natural finishing point, then beta testing happens. Simplify3d has not come to the natural finishing point. To me it looks like they have a couple of main people that don't openly communicate with each other, likely both want to be right, and will fight instead of seeing it is not a contest. No one wins when your company is run this way.

I am so glad I am retired and away from privately owned software companies.
PhillipM

Honestly I'm kinda at the point where I'm not expecting a release any more and I'm a little worried about future support too to be honest, it might be time for me to start looking for alternative slicers again as even though S3D is still my go to others have some nicer tricks these days for some awkward models.
MattenMax

version 5

any news about version 5?
xRezzurect

like seriously it is June 2020 release some sort of status update. i may have only just bought the program but it still doesn't sit well with me that there hasn't been any update on version 5 progress.
rsavell

Can we rename this thread to:
No Version 5 Announcement
JosephStallone

Rocko88 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:01 pm
mntbighker wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:17 pm I see they locked the massive prior version 5 discussion thread.
Kinda like posts that point out their lack of response to the status of Version 5 then they disappear due them being deleted by them. I have found whenever a company cannot respond with a legitimate answers to very factual based user questions about a version promised they due one of two things, they delete posts or ignore the questions. In this case we have both happening. That is never a good sign of the companies health or knowledge moving forward.
I agreed. You made a right point here that companies should be careful with that.
wingnut2k

The announcement back in Dec. 2019 said early 2020? Really? What do they consider early? I'm really interested in what V5.0 is going to have, but I might have to go ahead and learn prusa slicer or even cura.

I'm not sure what to do, I wish Admin would let us know something.
sleebus

wingnut2k wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 pm ...I might have to go ahead and learn prusa slicer or even cura.
I'm using PrusaSlicer 2.2.0 and am very happy with it. Took a bit to get used to how it works, but it does work great. I love the direct integrating with Octoprint. I just slice and send it to Octoprint with a click of a button and it starts printing. No need to transfer files, it all works through the network and the Octoprint API. Couldn't be easier.

Shame on Simplify3d for leaving us hanging out to dry. Lying to us is one thing, but ignoring us afterwards AND deleting posts they don't like is beyond the pale. I'm telling everyone who asks me about a slicer to seriously consider something other than Simplify3d as it seems they have completely given up on the product.
cconnrradd

So True, Simplify3d has been my go too, but lack of support and updates are driving me towards other slicers real fast. I truely like the interface of Simplify3d over the others. It is unfortunate the lack of response the comunity is getting. Just sharing progress would show some respect for their users.
TimKatarn

I love the direct integrating with Octoprint. I just slice and send it to Octoprint with a click of a button and it starts printing. No need to transfer files, it all works through the network and the Octoprint API. Couldn't be easier.
Simplify3D Does this too. It might not hold you hand to set it up but as pro level software it's made for people willing to dig a little deeper into it.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”