dkightley

Re: Version 5 Announcement

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Being the S3D user who has made by far the most number of posts on the forum ( more than all of the sum of the current official S3D Support users...at more than 2,200 posts), I would like to think that the S3D support and management team would possibly be more likely to take notice of any opinion I may have over a growing number of anonymous and increasingly hostile users.

As far as I can remember, I have not made any comments either way regarding the announcement and periodic update of an intended v5 of the software, but it has come to a point where I have to say something......

With the greatest of respect to everyone at Simplify3D, I would like to take them to task over the latest post by S3D-Chris, which has essentially repeated the same message that has been given for well over a year, and which provides nothing new whatsoever. Having been in software support and development for a period of over ten years in my career, I am fully aware of what takes place; from product design, development in its varying forms, testing, rework, etc, etc. Up until now, I have given S3D the benefit of the doubt and have not taken issue....but this latest repeat of the same message has lost all its credibility.

Rather than giving your existing customers the same old same old news, why can't you give some form of real progress report on v5?? Surely there are some key points that can be released to whet our appetites. An indication of how the new version will differ from the current software; what any new features will be, and some real indication of when the release will be. Anything better than what you have given so far.....which is virtually nothing!

The company's reputation must have been damaged by the complete wall of silence and repeats of the same thing...."We're working hard...and we're excited". Well your customers don't feel that way. I feel disillusioned....and am fearing that I may need to move away from a superb product, and try to learn how to use an inferior product.

Please cheer me up! 2020 has been so bad thus far....I need some good news.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

zemlin

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 pm

I'm also in the product development/innovation field, so I know how easy it is for things to snowball. I agree completely with Doug. You cracked the door open long ago.

gwhite

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 am

I agree 100% with Doug as well. The latest message from S3D was nice, in that it indicated that they were at least still a functioning company. However, it was also infuriating in the repeated lack of ANY concrete information.

If the company has been busy helping with the pandemic, all they would had to do is announce that back in March or April, and I think a lot of the complaints that have been posted in the last 4 months would have evaporated. I'm sure the user base is heavily populated with technology professionals who understand slipped development schedules all too well. Stop treating us like children. In fact, S3D might be wise to involve us in the process by (for example) posting a poll to prioritize new features so they could focus on the stuff we really want & not on rarely used exotic bells & whistles.

Unless they have some super slick features that they want to keep under their hat, the LEAST S3D should do is provide a list of the features they are planning (not guaranteeing) to add to V5. People are abandoning the product not because of the delayed release of V5, but because there has been no credible indication that the company is still functioning, even actually working on it, or is anything more than S3D-Chris answering queries on the forum.

billyd

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:37 pm

You must have a build of the new version. Release it as beta and let us help with the debug.

Matt-

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 am

The behaviour is quite strange. As others have said, I have no problem with delays, etc. But to just remain silent -- and delete fair concerns and questions -- does nothing for community engagement.

The difficult part for them will be expecting people to pay for the upgrade (remember: your license only entitled you to a year of free upgrades) after the poor treatment of paying customers on 4.x. What was an automatic purchase is now, at least for me, a risky consideration.

jaymcd

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:28 pm

Hey Chris,

I have sent this in to support. Does this suggest that there is a beta to test or ...??

billyd

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 am

Support replied they don't need beta testers.

gcreate3d

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 am

Beta tester :lol:

We have contacted S3D several times to beta test with our machines (which we recommend people use S3D) and been bet with silence.

3DWP

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:52 am

Yeah to me too, they have a lot of users available for testing and I am added to the list :roll:

Too bad..

garvyman

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Could someone point me to the post/reply suggesting how to be a beta tester? I can't seem to find it.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”