jaymcd

Re: Paid upgrade For 2020 upcoming Version 5.0

Thanks - I saw the option for gcode to Octoprint but it would be great to have the option directly from within the core of Simplify3d.
aruba68

Hello S3D Team,

when can we expect a new version?
aruba68

Hello S3D Team,

you had time to delete Userposts but you had no time to answer the Userquestions.
When we can expect a new S3D Version?
You don't make friends.
sstephan

It looks like they're looking for an exit strategy, maybe new buyer or investor, rather then caring much for their customers.
The outdated version is not even discounted.

With this attitude, I'm almost certain i wont buy any upgrade, even if it will include features i care about.

Replying here is pretty pointless at this point. Moving to reddit.
gwhite

I see that they removed the post that said the program was "buggy". I haven't found the latest release to be buggy, but it's almost a year old now. It's been over 2 months since the last "development update" posting, which didn't contain ANY useful information about what new features we could expect in Ver. 5, and WHEN it might be available.

I like the program, and I can get usable prints out of it. However, this is a rapidly changing technology area, and there is nothing "rapid" about S3D's development process. I don't even mind that they feel the need to charge for Version 5 (as long as it isn't too outrageous). What really makes me annoyed (and concerned for the long term viability of the company) is the lousy communications...

If you won't tell people any details about how wonderful version 5 will be, you can hardly expect people to want to stick with the product, especially when the release date keeps receding into the distance....

People who bought the product within a year of its original predicted release date also have every reason to ask whether the promise of a free upgrade still applies, but again, there is silence on the issue.

I check here once or twice a week for ANY real information. I am getting bored with being disappointed for MONTHS on end. Rather than wasting my time on that anymore, I should find another slicer & learn how to drive it....
doug_scott

S3D-Chris wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 am
plastmaska wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm I did not get any email
The announcement was sent to the individual's email address that purchased the Simplify3D license. If that is not you that could be why you didn't receive it.

You can also use this link to update your email preferences to ensure you receive future email announcements.

The December Development Update also contains all the information found in the newsletter announcement.
The link you provided that is to modify my email preference does not work. It claims to have sent me an email, but none ever arrives. I happen to run my own email server and after monitoring the SMTP-in log for 3 days, your email server, or one that is sending email on behalf of simplify3d.com, I can say for certain that no attempt to connect has been made. Is there some other way of updating my email preferences?
Can someone else try that link to see if they get the email?

Has there been a beta release date given? How long is the beta test going to run before a release candidate date is announced, and then how long after that will the retail version be? From the start of beta testing, it can be 6 months before a proper retail version is announced.
remilton

Well, the ship has just sailed for me. I just passed the one year mark since I purchased Simplify3d so no free upgrade for me. I guess what I want to know now is will I get a discount on the upgrade when it comes out this year? :?
MrCetirizine

I bought Simplify3D almost a year ago. When I did, I quickly realised that it was bad timing as a new paid version was imminent. I contacted support to cancel the purchase and get a refund which was an option.

They told me that my purchase included all updates for 12 month which included version 5, so I didn't cancel.

Sadly, now it's nearly 12 months with no sign of version 5 and my free upgrades will elapse with no upgrade ever happening. I doubt I'll pay for version 5.
Ardz

I have to say this is very sad to hear. I have been using S3D for 3 years now and couldn't imagine switching but if I am forced to spend another $150 (which was a TON to begin with) to use Version 5 I may just give up and move to Cura. I am sure they don't care about a single user leaving but I can guarantee I am not alone.
robojunkie

I didn't use S3d for a year or so because my install of 4.1 was corrupt and printed badly, so I went back to Repetier/Slic3r. I've since reinstalled my copy of 4.1, and everything is printing as it should for what I paid for the software. Considering this is the only paid slicer on the market, it should really print perfectly. Before anyone whines about software development costing money, remember the position you put yourselves in by being the only paid slicer on the market. Not only is it the only paid slicer on the market, but it's actually pretty expansive. That being said, those of us that paid for the software and didn't get it on piratebay out of respect for the developers are feeling a little put out by the failed promises of this illusive update that you plan to charge us for. I'd be happy if you just got to 4.2 and kept up with what's out there. You've lost your edge in the market. The days of fans trolling every forum saying s3d is the best constantly are long gone. I for one would like to see this update, considering it's been two years since the last one. The paid update is a slap in the face after such a wait. You should bring the price down to $100 for the software and see if you can capture the market of ender3 users who are apparently like fingerprints, everyone has 10. Stepping of my disappointed soap box now. I doubt this will go anywhere.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”