themrcaveman

Re: Paid upgrade For 2020 upcoming Version 5.0

It’s a shame that so far nothing has been communicated in any way what is happening........ this is unbelievable
RodLaird

The silence is indeed deafening. Transparency and setting clear customer expectations - even if there is a significant delay - is always a good thing.

I for one am very frustrated with the management of materials. There are plenty of options in v4 but optimising them across print qualities is a shambles. Doing something like moving a material from one hotend to another is a pain. There are many other features appearing in other slicers - including better materials management - that make sticking with S3D increasingly difficult. Indeed I have a dual independent head machine that S3D simply cannot fully utilise - so have to use Cura.

So please S3D - I am delighted to pay for your product but unless you start setting some clear expectations I will start investing a lot more time optimising my work with Cura - and then will not return to you.

Rod in Oz
cheers

Rod in Oz
C_Birch81

Almost 3 months after the end of 2019 when version 5 should had been out and still not even a single screenshot or bit of information. Well it's time i say good bye because this slicer don't seem to be going anywhere anymore and i have already started to move my workflow to other slicers.

It's a shame as back in the day it was good, but now its old and left behind and seems no one even cares anymore about it.
CappuccinoCake

It would also be nice to hear here in this thread something from a developer of S3D. If they would us give some information about the current state.
gwhite

Don't hold your breath... We've been begging for ANY real information for over a year since Version 5 was first mentioned. The last official word was over 3 months ago, and again, provided no concrete info on features, schedule or pricing.
ptegler

I received an announcement email about V5 on 12/9/219 but no link or info about actually upgrading.

So,..... WHEN is v5 actually coming out ????

ptegler
RealityTake2

gwhite wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:34 am Don't hold your breath... We've been begging for ANY real information for over a year since Version 5 was first mentioned. The last official word was over 3 months ago, and again, provided no concrete info on features, schedule or pricing.
Exactly. "Early" 2020 is over and we have zero information (other than the vague and useless "all kinds of feature requests"), zero pricing, etc. I bought last year with the confidence that I'd get the update for free, but nope - it is too late for that now. I'm not against upgrade fees but I definitely would have waited a lot longer to purchase (and then maybe never since there seems to be no progress) if I expected it would take anywhere near this much longer.

No info. No pricing. Obviously no release date (IMO if they knew when they could release we'd have received a little more info about what's coming by now), Just... silence.
Last edited by RealityTake2 on Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allan_glover

I was a huge advocate for S3D a few years ago. I personally convinced 4 friends/colleagues to purchased a copy due to how much I liked it. There are still a few things it excels at (slicing speed, custom supports...) but their silence on the update is completely unprofessional. If they would simply give an honest update it might change my mind.

I'll be switching slicers - just downloaded prusa slicer and cura to make a decision on which one to go with. I doubt I will be moving back to S3D based on how they've handled this. I suppose if version 5 has features and performance far beyond the free slicers out there, I might consider it.
gwhite

Well, a quarter of 2020 is now officially past, and there hasn't been one scrap of info from S3D about version 5.0...

I really don't want to have to change slicers, but they aren't exactly giving people any other choice.
CappuccinoCake

gwhite wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:53 am Well, a quarter of 2020 is now officially past, and there hasn't been one scrap of info from S3D about version 5.0...

I really don't want to have to change slicers, but they aren't exactly giving people any other choice.
I think that no one wants to change slicer if you are familiar with one, but it would be nice to hear in info if it is worth waiting for the change or change slicer immediately

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”