Marac

Bed size variable/placeholder

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 am

Hello,

i am fighting myself through placeholders use and in a weird way enjoying it as some progress is made. Slow but sure.

So i figured out how to use basic math using EVAL. That's cool. And while i was at first aiming only at this, a whole new spectrum of possibilities opened to me.

So to the point:
I have more than one machine, all have their bed origin centered for practical reasons. But, now i want to have nozzle priming routines set in a more dynamic way and was wondering, what are the placeholders for Build volume? Also origin offsets...
Or, any other placeholder that would tell that while my bed size is ie. 320x340 and offsets are 160 for X and 170 for Y so bottom left corner is -160, -170 ...

One way was to just do purge lines like 10mm left and right of actual [build_min_x] or[build_max_x] and Y respectively, but it would be nice to purge on the edge. For buildplate health sake...

S3D-Jake

Re: Bed size variable/placeholder

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:12 pm

There are not placeholders in the scripts tab for the build platform's size or the origin offsets. For now, you'll want to make a custom script for each different printer that has a different build size.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

horst.w

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Why using scripts and placeholders ???

Create your settings for each printer and store them as "Master-(printer-name)-factory in a own folder.

when changing the printer you need only to open the related factory and all is fine.

I myself store factories for my printers also as different files related to the different materials. E.g. Anet-ABS-Clear.factory or Mankati-PETG.factory. So I can switch between the both printers and their available materials with only some mouse-clicks.

horst.w
GER

Marac

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:22 am

@s3d-jake: ok then. No worries, it’s not vital. It would be just cool.

@horst.w: well, each has it’s own way of doing things. I just like to work with variables/placeholders. I understand, that having anet and such machines probably you don’t even need to use them. While with my custom or heavily modified machines, some of them IDEX and other multimaterial, using crude scripts without variables/placeholders would probably leave me...well, at the level of Anet like users with described workflow.
So, in short, why i use scripts and placeholders ? Because i know how to.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”