dennisjm

Flashforge printing with USB

So I've been saying for some time I wasn't having much luck printing over USB w/ S3D. I figured out a HUGE thing that was deterring me and thought I'd share.
Machine: Flashforge Creator X but probably this applies to lots of x3g clones/machines.

Problem. I'd go to the control panel and select to move the platform down w/ jog controls but the result would be it would move the platform as well as ram the extruders into a wall or something. I always just figured they didn't have things all the way ironed out with usb communication and just printed from SD card instead.

Root cause: The jog controls don't set the toolhead.
Background is I have two extruders. So if I happened to be using the left extruder (which I do all the time... support material in the right one, main plastic in the left.), the toolhead would be set to 1. But since the z-axis is on Toolhead 0 when I'd use the jog controls it would move the extruder as well as the platform.

Workaround: manually set the toolhead back to 0 before attempting to move the platform. You can do this by selecting the toolhead above the temperature panel.

Anyway, thought I'd share in case anyone else is scratching their head on why they can't control things correctly.
awan2008

Re: Flashforge printing with USB

Thanks, dennisjm
dennisjm

Re: Flashforge printing with USB

Well, it was working pretty well for me. I printed a number of small test objects. The last little while though it's been saying heating bed and as soon as the bed and extruder are heated up it says the print is done though and the printer just sits there idle. I don't know what changed. Near as I can tell I didn't really change anything. Oh well. Back to the SD card.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”