nerys

Need help modifying a factory file change STL without changing the factory file

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:32 pm

S3D has no easy way to associate a mass of STL files with a MASS of processes.

I am stacking 35 identical files vertically. I need to CHANGE that file but my god its such a pain because S3D REMOVES the "stl" association with the process when I change the STL file which means I have to edit 35 individual processes to re-associate them with 35 new STLs even when I give them the same name.

is there anyway to speed up this process or automate it? maybe "insert" the stl into the factor file some way so when I reload it it HAS the new STL file in place instead of the old one? (same file small changes to facilitate stacking. it just takes so stinking long Grrrr

I tried to attach the factory file but it said too large :-) so here is a "mini version"
Attachments
Visor Stack rev2 mini.factory
(478.07 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

gwhite

Re: Need help modifying a factory file change STL without changing the factory file

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:56 pm

This is one my my biggest gripes with S3D. If I have to make a minor change to a model, they need a "replace" command so that I don't have to redo things like process assignments, support settings, rotation, placement etc. etc.

This has been requested time & time again, and it SHOULD be in Version 5, which SHOULD have been released by now.

I feel your pain...

TheBum

Re: Need help modifying a factory file change STL without changing the factory file

Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I would agree for process association, but when it comes to support settings and the like, you'd need some significant AI, e.g. to figure out where a support should be placed when the shape has changed. If you only care about automatic supports, then that would be doable, but custom supports are another matter.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”