Forumsdude

K280 Volcano hotend short runs burning filament

So while printing 1mm filament, my volcano has to be extremely hot 250c to run efficiently and not clog (otherwise it can push out enough filament).
I already slowed the speed down 50% and it works great until you get to portions that are tiny boxes (5mm x 5mm) and then it seems to cool the filament because it’s doing such small filament ‘runs’ so it seems to be sitting in the hotend too long and boiling because it’s not pushing out fast enough....
Are there options in simplify3d to look for this and prevent it or change speeds/ temps during these scenarios?
parallyze

Re: K280 Volcano hotend short runs burning filament

Forumsdude wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:16 pm So while printing 1mm filament, my volcano has to be extremely hot 250c to run efficiently and not clog (otherwise it can push out enough filament).
I already slowed the speed down 50% and it works great until you get to portions that are tiny boxes (5mm x 5mm) and then it seems to cool the filament because it’s doing such small filament ‘runs’ so it seems to be sitting in the hotend too long and boiling because it’s not pushing out fast enough....
Are there options in simplify3d to look for this and prevent it or change speeds/ temps during these scenarios?
Maybe you could try to explain this somewhat better?

"printing 1mm filament" - do you mean using an extrusion width of 1.0mm or a nozzle with a 1.0mm orifice?

What material? PLA? At 250°C?

Looking at some pictures from the HE3D Delta K280 (probably the machine you're talking about?) I suggest replacing the extruder/drive gear.
That looks like one of the old MK7/MK8 drive gears with an outer diameter > 10mm. Replace this one with a smaller one. While 2-3mm difference in diameter don't look that much they have a massive impact on torque your extruder can output. Extruding at more than 12-15mm³/s using those old gears is not reliable because most of the time you have to push temperatures to extreme limits, causing other problems. They're more designed for
speeds from quite a few years ago (flow rates of about ~6-12mm³/s).

Do you have a factory file you can post where one could see which features do work and which ones are not?

If your filament boils within seconds the answer is pretty easy: It's way too hot. If your extruder can't push the filament through the hotend and everything is set up correctly -> get more torque. Simply ramping up vRef to the stepper won't help here either.

Some more information here: https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Choosing ... uder_drive
Forumsdude

Hello, apologies for the lack of clarity.

Regarding “printing 1mm” I mean a 1mm nozzle orifice.

As far as Extruder, it is an MK8 with a recent upgrade to make it direct drive via a direct drive kit.

https://gulfcoast-robotics.com/products ... i0QAvD_BwE

Regarding printing media, yes it is PLA from PrintedSolid which is rated up to 230c for smaller nozzle orifices and has been suggested to use up to 270 when printing using a 1mm nozzle orifice. Any lower and the temp cannot heat the filament thoroughly enough to bond to the previous layer.

As far as factory files, I’m not sure where to find those. I can provide S3D profile files, but not sure where or what factory files are.
parallyze

Forumsdude wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 am Hello, apologies for the lack of clarity.

Regarding “printing 1mm” I mean a 1mm nozzle orifice.

As far as Extruder, it is an MK8 with a recent upgrade to make it direct drive via a direct drive kit.
Okay, that one should put out more torque, using a way smaller gear. Still don't understand how that one's got
converted to a direct drive, though. So it's no longer mounted to the frame and it's feeding directly to the hotend
without a bowden in between now?
Regarding printing media, yes it is PLA from PrintedSolid which is rated up to 230c for smaller nozzle orifices and has been suggested to use up to 270 when printing using a 1mm nozzle orifice. Any lower and the temp cannot heat the filament thoroughly enough to bond to the previous layer.
Is it PS "Jessie" PLA? According to the linked data sheet they're using NatureWorks 4043D (Ingeo biopolymer) and the
Decomposition temperature is 250°C (9. Phys./chem. properties):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0887/ ... f.pdf?3655
As far as factory files, I’m not sure where to find those. I can provide S3D profile files, but not sure where or what factory files are.
Oh, that one's easy. :)

File -> Save factory file...

This will save the current models, processes and their settings in a single file. So other people can have a look at the settings used,
like nozzle size, extrusion width, layer height and so on :)
S3D-Jake

Great discussion and tips! Thanks to parallyze for providing such helpful answers and being so civil when you needed more information before you could accurately assess the situation. :D
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”