Townsie

Keeping Simplify3D from skinning all objects

I have this print, which consists of two objects. The cylinder is separate and is placed exactly on top of the block.
blender_0xnHJtTCNV.png
I export these two objects as an OBJ file, and pull them into Simplify3D, when I print them - even though I havn't checked the option "Merge all outlines into a single model", it's still treated as if the cylinder is part of one solid model.
So when it's printing the top layers, it's leaving a slightly ragged space for the cylinder.
Simplify3D_P5nxvJwjXx.png
What I'd like to have happen is for the top layer to be completely flat, with no hole, and then it'd print the cylinder on top of that.
I imagine I can export this as multiple objects, and then import them separately, but I kind of don't want to do that.
S3D-Jake

Re: Keeping Simplify3D from skinning all objects

Have you tried using Mesh > Separate Connected Surfaces? This is the same idea as what you're hypothesizing but can be done from inside Simplify3D.

If you wish to keep the cylinder and cube aligned to one another you can "group" the models in Simplify3D by selecting both and pressing Ctrl + G.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
billyd

If you use two processes, one for the block and one for the cylinder, they will each have top and bottom filled surfaces for the number of layers you specify in their individual process.
dkightley

If I've read the original poster's words right, this is a classic example of a shortcoming in S3D that has been reported on the forum again and again for more than FOUR...or perhaps even SIX... years....where the first top layer printed over support that is printed into an "inside" corner has the point where the infill turns around totally unsupported...resulting in ugly gaps in the corner!

Here's an example:
Infill_3.JPG
And here's a vertically cut view of the sliced part::
Infill_4.JPG
Let's look at the very first top layer on the shoulder:
Infill_1.JPG
Look at where the arrows point. The red arrows point to where the support layer is profiled to form an edge for the infill to attach to when its being printed. The blue arrows point to where the infill extrusion make two 90 degree turns OVER FRESH AIR...and its obvious to anyone that it will be dragged back to where the nearest support is..or stick to the nozzle!.

What's needed is for the support to form a border all the way round where the part continues up....and not inside every other square of the support pattern.

I'm fairly sure this issue happens for all support infill types. It causes all sorts of issues with gaps ....and really does need resolving. A not too difficult coding change that will result in big, big improvements!!!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
dkightley

Having just watched a line by line simulation print.....its even worse than what I've described!!!

The top layer is printed BEFORE the inner support, so ignore the bit I put about the red and blue arrows. ALL of the infill turnarounds are done over FRESH AIR!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
schredderio

Leider muss ich in deutsch antworten mein englisch würde keiner verstehen :oops:

Ähnliches Teil gleiches Problem, löse ich immer so:
Die Ebene suchen ab der voll gedruckt werden soll (Beginn). (1)
Die Ebene suchen ab der es normal weiter geht. (2)
Dann Prozess aufteilen mit Assistenten. (3)
Dann den mittleren Prozess wie folgt ändern (4)
Neu schneiden: (alles auswählen) (5)
Fertig :)

leider gehen nur 3 Bilder daher ein Zusammenschnitt.
ablauf.JPG
Townsie

S3D-Jake wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:39 pm Have you tried using Mesh > Separate Connected Surfaces? This is the same idea as what you're hypothesizing but can be done from inside Simplify3D.

If you wish to keep the cylinder and cube aligned to one another you can "group" the models in Simplify3D by selecting both and pressing Ctrl + G.
This works only half way. Now I have two objects, but when I print them, Simplify3D still combines them into one "skin" and prints a hold in the top part of the cube.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”