teamcarlisle

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

I'm pretty sure S3D is a dead company at this point and they lie about version 5 coming in hopes of tricking the last few customers they can get into purchasing a license before they shut down their website and servers. At which point we'll all have to eventually migrate to new software since our existing licenses are cloud activated.
gwhite

I'm not convinced they are dead, just unbelievably poorly managed, at least from a customer communications standpoint. If you check out their blog, they apparently work with printer companies to provide custom slicers. I suspect they actually get quite a bit of income from that.
RoboDLC

Huh. Don't know, don't care. Getting ANY slicer to work well is a never-ending chore that changes with the seasons, the filament, the color of the filament and the printer. Once I get something to work, I use it. Just like printing a WORD doc on my computer, I don't care about the revision of the driver, as long as it works reliably after I set up the options. I don't really have an emotional tie to any slicer/printer program.

I'm happy as long as it works.
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
PicoTreed

RoboDLC wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:41 am I don't care about the revision of the driver, as long as it works reliably after I set up the options. I don't really have an emotional tie to any slicer/printer program.
I'm happy as long as it works.
I understand you.
Today we are so much used to receive frequent software updates, and these update most of the time are pointless (or just useful to keep up the hype around the product, convincing you to continue paying the fee.)
Moreover users often strongly demand for software updates without exploiting maximum capabilities from current versions.

So I think that changing in the sake of change is not always a good idea, Simplify3D 4.1.2 is still a great product, but I also think that is truly time to address some bugs and introduce some usefull additional functions.
Anyway, the Simplify3D Team's long silence is inexcusable.
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
joost

I switched from Cura 2.something (can't quite remember the specific version, it was back in 2016) to Simplify3D and was quite happy with the results. Better prints and much better control. I print nothing artsy - everything is industrial(ish) enclosures, often characterized with sharp/specific/neat edges and slopes. My printing standards have become more demanding and my little Ultimaker 2+ started to show its age/capability limit.

Or so I thought!

Last week I decided to give Cura a try, you know just for shits and giggles. Cura 4.8, quite a different interface and a bit frustrating I might add. Decided to just go with defaults mostly and print a sensor enclosure. The result is SO MUCH BETTER than S3D - it was just unfair. So I took a look at what Cura's set points are and set them up similarly in S3D for as much as possible. With the "cura setup" in S3D, the prints still do not look as good as with Cura. What mostly surprised me was S3D producing lots of stringing and many retractions.

Right, I am not a total fan of Cura's interface however slick it might look. And would also miss the control panel from S3D. But at this point, the S3D team can stop for me (as far as we know they already have anyway), I am done with it. Cura is without cost and WAY better maintained than S3D, and produces better results.
nexy33

prusa slicer rc2 now has ironing and ive finally got a good two trees sapphire pro profile knocked up so s3d is just dead weight on my ssd now anycubic and creality support and prusa ,5 of my 7 printers covered and the defaults I knocked up for my little monster and my old orballo p3 work just fine for the time i use them I'm gonna drop this prog as I want something that is maintained and developed
myprinter

Thoughtful that there will soon be more posts about a non-existent v5 than questions about the existing v4.x. :roll:
Glasofruix

I just don't understand the total lack of communication going on here. I mean throw us a bone, show us those super duper new "killer features" in some videos/gifs/pics that should be enough for people to wait. Instead we got silence and a promise of some kind of paid upgrade, no wonder people think s3d is dead. Prusa slicer just added a bunch of nails to the coffin and they're getting the showels ready.

I mean even star citizen folks like to throw a "we will show you features that will never be released" party from time to time.
mikebosschaert

After years of using S3D I've recently moved to prusaslicer (2.3.0-alpha3). I'm using that slincer now for a couple of months and there should be a massive improvement in S3D before I'll consider moving back. Prusaslicer has given me sublime quality prints and has many options most S3D users have been asking for for years. Like dynamic layer hight, configurabele modifiers etc. One of the best options for me is the ironing, which gives a super smooth top layer finish.

OK, there are also a couple of things missing in prusa, but still those are less relevant for me.
joost

Also, CURA's supports, while perhaps not as easily customizable as S3D, are so much better! They are gradual i.e. are fairly thick at the build plate but very thin right connecting to the part. So very easy to break away.

Another reason to stay away from this sinking ship.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”