TheBum

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

Well, their web team is still active: the latest blog post was dated May 7, 2021.
billyd

TheBum wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:43 pm Well, their web team is still active: the latest blog post was dated May 7, 2021.
I don't have any idea what's happening at S3D. Here are potential scenario's that fit the known facts.

1. They aren't able to create the features they promised.
2. They lost the source code and had to start from scratch.
3. Programmer(s) left and the code is indecipherable to new engineers hired.
4. There are crippling bugs that they have not been able to resolve.
5. They simply are not working on new versions because they are globetrotting and partying.
6. They decided to change their business model and sell marijuana in the legalized states.
7. They have gone dark and were responsible for the gas pipeline hack.

Please feel free to add your own speculations to the list.
gwhite

My theory is that they are applying all of their (dwindling?) resources to custom versions of S3D for various printer companies who are paying well & have hard deadlines. That's the only way they could still be in business given the way they have treated their main(?) customer base. They may even be slowly adding in Ver. 5 features to the custom machine-specific products to make them competitive.

I've been watching the activity level on the forum slowly dry up & blow away for quite some time. I was more than a little surprised that they actually spent time to come out with a blog post after being silent in that area for almost 10 months.
arhi

billyd wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:40 am Please feel free to add your own speculations to the list.
fun game ... e.g.
main developer got married and then got a kid(s) and now is finding out that 2h of sleep per day is a blessing and time for programming is nowhere to be found so till a kid is at least 4 there won't be any real work possible
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
ZenFrogCreations

I've kinda been away from the 3D Print for the last year. I remember when I last visited these forums that S3D 5.0 was all the rage and everyone was stoked to buy it. So when I checked out the latest version, huh? Color me surprised when I see its the same glitchy 4.1.2 that I still have installed. SO did the developers go on sabbatical? Did the software company decide not to release this? Did the Chinese hack the source code and change it to the earliest know version of Pong??
zzjlamb

Still no updates at all for a long time, but on the other hand, my Version 4.1.2 is working perfectly on Mac OS Big Sur, and I don't have a burning need for new features. If it aint broke then don't fix it? The only concern would be that it will become abandonware, but no likelihood of that at least in the near future.
Konky

After 2 years there is nothing to expect anymore, the project has been abandoned.
I believe it never was an actual company, just a one-man show and probably it didn't generate enough revenue to be worth the development time.
Probably no way to compete with Cura ?

It's sad as it is a good project, severely lacking features in some areas but still good.
inventabuild

There's still plenty of bugs in s3d v4.1. The processes don't always run in the order I set them up in the Processes window, the layer heights don't always print at the layer heights I specify, etc, but I feel like I don't want to spend the time documenting these issues for s3d tech service because who knows if s3d is really going to spend the time to fix them...no time to just chase rainbows.
nexy33

billyd wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:40 am
TheBum wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:43 pm Well, their web team is still active: the latest blog post was dated May 7, 2021.
I don't have any idea what's happening at S3D. Here are potential scenario's that fit the known facts.

1. They aren't able to create the features they promised.
2. They lost the source code and had to start from scratch.
3. Programmer(s) left and the code is indecipherable to new engineers hired.
4. There are crippling bugs that they have not been able to resolve.
5. They simply are not working on new versions because they are globetrotting and partying.
6. They decided to change their business model and sell marijuana in the legalized states.
7. They have gone dark and were responsible for the gas pipeline hack.

Please feel free to add your own speculations to the list.
8, they were full of crap and v5 was a feeble attempt to fleece a last bit of cash from anyone they could there was never a v5

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”