RoboDLC

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

themrcaveman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 pm sorry but my hope is gone. Prusaslicer is the way to go now!
After I read this comment I downloaded Prusaslicer's latest version.
Wow. LIke S3D and unlike CURA, it starts up fast. It has advanced settings, allows setting various profile types and even directly (and simply) connects to Octoprint and Duet. I ran a quick Phil-A-Ment astronaut off on a custom printer profile and it was perfect. It will take getting used to a new layout, but it seems pretty intuitive. I will have to try the support settings, since that is what S3D is famous for. Scripting is easy too, so I will have to try its multi-filament settings on for size. And it is free and open-sourced.

Now to find its warts, there are always warts.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
Omikron

cybrsage wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 pm
themrcaveman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 pm sorry but my hope is gone. Prusaslicer is the way to go now!
I think they may have done it. The alpha version of the next release of PrusaSlicer has ironing, but more importantly it has "paint on" support placement (or support denial) locations. So if you want to only support one area, you just paint that area and the supports all appear only there.

Have to test it out myself to see how well it works, but that really cuts deep into the biggest pro for using S3D. V5 has to step up its game.
Oooo! Thanks for the heads up! I don't think SuperSlicer (a PrusaSlicer Fork) has merged those new changes in yet so I'll have to check it out. Support generation is indeed one of the few things S3D still did better than others, so I'm fascinated to see how it goes.
RoboDLC

Omikron wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 am
cybrsage wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 pm
I think they may have done it. The alpha version of the next release of PrusaSlicer has ironing, but more importantly it has "paint on" support placement (or support denial) locations. So if you want to only support one area, you just paint that area and the supports all appear only there.

Have to test it out myself to see how well it works, but that really cuts deep into the biggest pro for using S3D. V5 has to step up its game.
Oooo! Thanks for the heads up! I don't think SuperSlicer (a PrusaSlicer Fork) has merged those new changes in yet so I'll have to check it out. Support generation is indeed one of the few things S3D still did better than others, so I'm fascinated to see how it goes.
I haven't tried the beta code's paint on supports yet, I have tried the "enforced" support stuff with the current stable release. Meh. S3D is still better, and I really had to mess with the Prusaslicer settings to find a way to get the supports OFF the model. I'll try the beta code, the current Prusaslicer is no threat to S3D's support system though.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
Omikron

Agree the "support enforcers" and "support blockers" are clunky as hell. S3D's is far and away better.

Now if painting really works as well as they advertise...that might change things considerably.
alexzogh

I think Simplify3d 5 has turned into Duke Nukem Forever which took 15 years to release, and when they finally did, it was horrible - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever
aruba68

Hello S3D Team

A very simple question.

When will the new version 5 come?

To make it easy, I'll give you several possible answers. Then you have more time to program.

This year
Next year
I don't know
Not at all
Omikron

aruba68 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:03 am Hello S3D Team

A very simple question.

When will the new version 5 come?

To make it easy, I'll give you several possible answers. Then you have more time to program.

This year
Next year
I don't know
Not at all
Their response has consistently been some variation "I don't know" or "one day".

The COMPLETE lack of any transparency is really telling.
ViperZ

Simplify3d has been leaked online with cracked software.
They are dangerous though because they are often given computer viruses.
It would be web-based to prevent license fraud.
I think there are a lot of problems in realizing it in the shortage of engineers and funding.
I'm guessing that the fact that they were hinting at a V5 release a year ago, when there was no prospect of a release, wasn't a fake to get people to buy V4.
sstephan

s3d is a family business with very few employees . they probably looking for a buyer , there is no v5 .
the sooner you realize it the better .
i know , i'm also still using it as it still has some features better then all other slicers .
if you dont do any complicated stuff like multi process on multiple parts with sequential printing , ideamaker is for you , with tons more slicing features .
Codex404

They don't even take any effort to remove criticism anymore so I think the company is actually dead now.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”